Translate 1869 Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mnaccarato
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translate 1869 Birth Record

Post by mnaccarato »

Angela, great news. I was able to find the Marriage Act on FamilySearch while I was at the Family History Center! It is VERY long, so I would appreciate the translation when you have time! Also, it spells his name as Angelo here, opposed to Angiolo as it is on a few other documents, guess i will need to find the birth act to figure that one out.

Marriage Act of Angelo Ruggiero and Angela Maria Iovanna:
RuggieroIovannaMarriage.jpg
Researching the following surnames: Naccarato, Sanzo, Filippelli, Lembo, Gaudio, Pezzente, Ferrante, Peluso

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mnaccarato wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 02:59
Angela, great news. I was able to find the Marriage Act on FamilySearch while I was at the Family History Center! It is VERY long, so I would appreciate the translation when you have time! Also, it spells his name as Angelo here, opposed to Angiolo as it is on a few other documents, guess i will need to find the birth act to figure that one out.

Marriage Act of Angelo Ruggiero and Angela Maria Iovanna:
RuggieroIovannaMarriage.jpg

Hi Maria

The record you have posted here is another "extract" or "copy" of the marriage between Angelo Ruggiero and Angela Maria Iovanna. They were married in Santangelo all'Esca, where Angela was born, and then six months later the record was sent back to Fontanarosa, Angelo's birth town. The "extract" that I found, and from which I translated the vital details, was amongst the allegati (marriage attachments). The "vital" information in both "extracts of marriage record" is exactly the same. Both "extracts" are "copies" of the "complete" "original" marriage record. (I hope this makes sense.)

Anyways, I've checked online and the 1872 Santangelo all'Esca marriage records are now online. Here is their original marriage record:
No 11: Angelo Ruggiero and Angelamaria Iovanna: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

One thing I don't understand from the extract you have posted here is that it has the word defunto (not defunta?) after Angelamaria Iovanna's name? It seems that it is saying that she had died between June, when they were married, and December, the date of this marriage extract????? I may be misreading this. Someone hopefully will take a look. It seems really odd because they went on to have children, but .....? I know there are discrepancies in the records with surname and given name of Angela Maria?

Re the names Angelo and Angiolo – the difference in pronunciation of these names is somewhat subtle, so it could be that the clerk just wrote down what he thought he heard. I often see these names interchanged in my own records.

Angela

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 05:46
mnaccarato wrote:

Hi Maria

The record you have posted here is another "extract" or "copy" of the marriage between Angelo Ruggiero and Angela Maria Iovanna. ...
One thing I don't understand from the extract you have posted here is that it has the word defunto (not defunta?) after Angelamaria Iovanna's name? ...

Angela
The wording after Angela Maria Iovanna is "...desunto dai registri di matrimonio...", =
"... obtained from the Marriage registers..."

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 08:23
AngelaGrace56 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 05:46
mnaccarato wrote:

Hi Maria

The record you have posted here is another "extract" or "copy" of the marriage between Angelo Ruggiero and Angela Maria Iovanna. ...
One thing I don't understand from the extract you have posted here is that it has the word defunto (not defunta?) after Angelamaria Iovanna's name? ...

Angela
The wording after Angela Maria Iovanna is "...desunto dai registri di matrimonio...", =
"... obtained from the Marriage registers..."

Grazie Livio!!! I searched for a death record in both towns and couldn't see one so thought I must have misread the script. I just couldn't work out what the word was.

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here's the marriage of Angelo to his first wife Emmanuela Ercole:

Marriage No 18: Angelo Ruggiero and Emmanuela Ercole
Fontanarosa: 22 December 1864
Married Church of San Nicola Maggiore, 24 December 1864

Groom: Angelo Ruggiero, 27 yo, born in Fontanarosa, contadino, living said town, son of the deceased Nicola, contadino, and of the deceased Rosa Gambino.

Bride: Emmanuela Ercole, 16 yo, born in Fontanarosa, living in said town, daughter of Angelo, contadino, living in said town and of Maria Inglese, living with her husband.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Angela

mnaccarato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mnaccarato »

Angela - Thank you so much for pointing out that the record I found was an abstract. I still have trouble deciphering between that and the original. And thank you for the translations and for finding the record for his first marriage. This is all amazing!
Researching the following surnames: Naccarato, Sanzo, Filippelli, Lembo, Gaudio, Pezzente, Ferrante, Peluso

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

My pleasure!

The following is the first child that I could see, that was born to Angelo and Emmanuela after their 1864 marriage. I haven't looked to see whether there were any other children after Pasqualina.

1868 Birth No 42: Pasqualina Ruggiero daughter of Angelo Ruggiero (son of deceased Nicola Rugiero); and of Emmanuela Ercole
Registered and presented Fontanarosa, 30 May 1868, by father Angelo Ruggiero, 31 yo, born and living this town, a contadino, the son of the deceased Nicola. (Place of residence, Strada Pastene, no number.) The baby girl was born the same day from his wife Emmanuela Ercole, 19 yo, contadina, daughter of Angelo, in the home they lived, in Strada Pastene, which baby was given the name Pasqualina.

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 01:25
My pleasure!

The following is the first child that I could see, that was born to Angelo and Emmanuela after their 1864 marriage. I haven't looked to see whether there were any other children after Pasqualina.

1868 Birth No 42: Pasqualina Ruggiero daughter of Angelo Ruggiero (son of deceased Nicola Rugiero); and of Emmanuela Ercole
Registered and presented Fontanarosa, 30 May 1868, by father Angelo Ruggiero, 31 yo, born and living this town, a contadino, the son of the deceased Nicola. (Place of residence, Strada Pastene, no number.) The baby girl was born the same day from his wife Emmanuela Ercole, 19 yo, contadina, daughter of Angelo, in the home they lived, in Strada Pastene, which baby was given the name Pasqualina.

Angela

And here is the 1871 death record of Emmanuela:

Death No 21: Emmanuela Ercole, wife of Angiolo Ruggiero
Fontanarosa: 27 May 1871

Appearing were Giuseppe Pasquariello?, son of Sabato, 45 yo, and Alessio Capobianco, son of deceased Nicola, 50 yo, both contadini, born and living in this town of Fontanarosa. They reported that on 27 May 1871, Emmanuela Ercole died in the home she lived, in this town, Strada Pastene. She was 23 yo, contadina, born and living in this town of Fontanarosa, wife of Angiolo Ruggiero, and daughter of Angiolo Maria Inglese, farmers, living in this town.

I couldn't see any other children born to Emmanuela and Angiolo in the indices.

Angela

mnaccarato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mnaccarato »

Angela – I just finished adding all of this to my tree, and have so many more avenues to explore now. I can't thank you enough for your continued help!

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mnaccarato wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 03:30
Angela – I just finished adding all of this to my tree, and have so many more avenues to explore now. I can't thank you enough for your continued help!
That's fantastic!!! So glad I could help. Spot you again soon.

Angela

maritalia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maritalia »

Angela - It's Maria (I had to create a new account as I misplaced my password). I'm excited to share that I found birth records for both Angela Maria Iovanna and Angiolo Ruggiero! It turns out Angela is actually spelled "Angiola." Would you say her actual name is Angiola Maria rather than Angela Maria, if we were being particular? Would appreciate translations when you have a chance.

Birth Record of Angiolo Ruggiero (right): http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Birth Record of Angiola Maria Iovanna (right): http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

maritalia wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 16:15
Angela - It's Maria (I had to create a new account as I misplaced my password). I'm excited to share that I found birth records for both Angela Maria Iovanna and Angiolo Ruggiero! It turns out Angela is actually spelled "Angiola." Would you say her actual name is Angiola Maria rather than Angela Maria, if we were being particular? Would appreciate translations when you have a chance.

Birth Record of Angiolo Ruggiero (right): http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Birth Record of Angiola Maria Iovanna (right): http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Ciao Maria

Great to have found these!!! Yes, Angiola possibly is the correct spelling and maybe the "i" was later omitted in subsequent records pertaining to her?

Here are the translations of the two birth records:

Birth No 105: Angiolo Ruggiero
Fontanarosa: 30 December 1837
Appearing was Nicola Ruggiero, 52 yo, landowner, living Strada Bastione?, to present a baby boy born from himself, and from Rosa Gambino, his legitimate wife, 50 yo, living in this town of Fontanarosa, with himself the declarant. Baby was born 30 December 1837, 6 pm, in their own home, and was given the name Angiolo. Angiolo was baptised the same day in the parish of St Nicolo.

Birth No 9: Angiola Maria Iovanna
Sant'Angelo all'Esca: 20 February 1849
Appearing was Andrea Iovanna, 40 yo, contadino, living this town, who presented a baby girl born from himself and from Maria Giuseppa Vecchia, his legitimate wife, 30 yo, living with himself, the declarant. Baby was born 20 February 1849, 5 pm, in their own home and given the name Angiola Maria.

Witnesses to the presentation and registration were:
Francesco Iovanna, 50 yo, and Andrea Vecchia, 60 yo, both contadini living therein.

Angiola Maria Iovanna was baptised 20 February 1849 in the town parish.

Angela

maritalia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maritalia »

Thank you so much!

doberso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doberso »

Pasquale Ziccardi, son of Domenico, Age 30, tailor, presented a baby boy, born at 2.00 am, of his wife, Nicoletta Baldassarro, son of Nicolo, living on Carpignano street, and named him Angelo Michele

doberso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doberso »

I am looking for someone from the California area https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/949 to help me find some information. Actually, it is a small project I am working in. So I am looking for an assistant from this area. If you are Italian by origin, please get in touch with me. I will tell you about my project, and you will decide if you want to participate. Please contact me.