Banns - polishing

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Banns - polishing

Post by stfrancis »

I attached the 1871 banns,I assume? from 2 different dates, for Florio. I would appreciate if someone could refine my "rough" attempt at translating the documents. After I will try to post the actual marriage.

Also, you will notice what appears to be his or his father's profession ?, which term is not clear to me...."Peperccieri". I believe it has to do with a "stonecutter" but maybe differs from the typical spelling?

Thank you.
1871, on August 22 at 11 am , in the community hall, Piazza street - Salvatore Pappafico senior assessor.....the Mayor absent.... and official of the civil status from the municipality of Sala Consilina in the Province of Salerno, appeared Michelarcangelo Florio, of majority, celibate, age 25, son of Luigi, and Felicia Gorga, living, of profession....Peperccieri....., and Maria Caterina Gorga, of majority, celibate, age 26, daughter of Vincenzo, living, of profession ....shoemaker, and Teresa Petrazzuolo, deceased, all domiciled and residing in this commune, who wanting to join in marriage, a formal .....request ........ made .... two publications prescribed by article seventy of the civil code to be carried out ....the first to twenty-seven of the current month, and the .....second to third...... month of September to......two....Sundays in this municipality ....below..., where the ..........their domicile and residence.

The spouses having produced the required documents ......by me and united here, and since there was no impediment of kinship or affinity, I .....compiled.... this act in the presence of Michele Bigotti, .....Pietro, aged forty-one and Alessandro Landi, .....Carlo, aged forty-one years old, both civilians, domiciled in this Municipality, who ....conjointly.... compared the declarations respectively made by the above-mentioned contractors.

Reading ...the date of this deed....., .....and with me signed by the groom and the witnesses, the bride being illiterate

Michelarcangelo Florio
Michele Bigotti
Alessandro Landi
Salvatore Pappafico
1871, On September 3 at ten in the morning in the community hall located on Piazza street - the undersigned Salvatore Pappafico senior assessor .....the Mayor absent ....and official of the civil status from the municipality of Sala Consilina in the Province of Salerno, .....with this deed certifying ......that he .....made the procedure.... the last.... twenty-seven ...of August .....at the first publication and posting of the marriage request between Michelarcangelo Florio and Maria Caterina Gorga which have been .....continually affixed .....today on .....which the second publication appears.
....Of which I have extended this certified act, signed by me.....

Salvatore Pappafico
Attachments
Bans1871(1).jpg
Bans1871(2).jpg
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Banns - polishing

Post by mmogno »

stfrancis wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 01:52
Also, you will notice what appears to be his or his father's profession ?, which term is not clear to me...."Peperccieri". I believe it has to do with a "stonecutter" but maybe differs from the typical spelling?

Thank you.
Pepernieri = lavoratori del piperno, scalpellini
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piperno_(roccia)

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

1871, on August 22 at 11 am , in the community hall, Piazza street. Before me Salvatore Pappafico senior assessor, because the Mayor is absent, and official of the civil status for the municipality of Sala Consilina in the Province of Salerno, appeared Michelarcangelo Florio, of majority, celibate, age 25, son of Luigi, and Felicia Gorga, both living, of profession Pepernieri, and Maria Caterina Gorga, of majority, celibate, age 26, daughter of Vincenzo, living, of profession shoemaker, and Teresa Petrazzuolo, deceased, all domiciled and residing in this commune, who wanting to join in marriage, make a formal request to me for the two publications prescribed by article seventy of the civil code to be carried out, the first on twenty-seven of the current month, and the second on third of next month of Septembe, both in Sundays, only in this municipality, where the contractors have their domicile and residence.

The spouses having produced the required documents, here attached by me, and since there was no impediment of kinship or affinity, I compiled this act in the presence of Michele Bigotti, son of deceased Pietro, aged forty-one and Alessandro Landi, son of deceased Carlo, aged forty-one, both civilians, domiciled in this Municipality, who confirm by oath the declarations respectively made by the above-mentioned contractors.

Reading given of this deed, was signed with me only by the groom and the witnesses, the bride being illiterate

Michelarcangelo Florio
Michele Bigotti
Alessandro Landi
Salvatore Pappafico
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Grazie.

mmogno, thank you for making perfect sense of the first document. Regarding the "Pepernieri",should I assume this applies to Michele's father (Luigi), and NOT to Michele ?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

I'm not sure, but I think "Peperniere" is referring to Michele. Perhaps both were "Pepernieri" (plural).
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I want to thank you so much for your expertise.

It actually looks a bit like the word ended originally with an "e", that was changed to an "i"....

But for Caterina, after her father's name, Vincenzo, I see the profession of "shoemaker", so in this case it would apply to the father, do you agree?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Yes, Vincenzo was a shoemaker
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Thank you. I attach his actual marriage document. I did a rough translation, but possibly missing a few more details ?
On October 11th, 1871, at 8 am, in the community hall, Piazza Street, before me, FrancescoAntonio Bove, mayor and civil status official of Sala Consilina, Province of Salerno, and in the presence of Alessandro Landi, of deceased Carlo, age 42, and Michele Bigotti, of deceased Pietro, age 41, both citizens, domiciled and residing in this commune, witnesses chosen...... by the registrants designated below......, appeared MichelArcangelo Florio, of majority, celibate, age 25 years, son of Luigi and Feliciana Gorga, living, and Maria Caterina Gorga , of majority, celibate, age 26 years, daughter of Vincenzo , alive, and Teresa Petrazzulo, deceased,... all peasants...., domiciled and residing in this commune, who, wanting to unite in marriage,..... conformed to the preferences of the law....., producing..... when ......... publications, the required..... documents that are attached.....to the register of notifications
................ me that the publications were regularly carried out and ......having passed the three days .....following that given...... the last publication..... without having produced opposition, I have read ......the spouses the articles one hundred and thirty, one hundred and thirty-one, and one hundred and thirty-two of the civil code, ......after having declared the same to me...., personally, .....one after the other, in the presence of the said witnesses, .....to want to respectfully take each other.... husband and wife, I pronounced in the name of the law, they are united in marriage.
The publication of certificates..... bearing my visa were inserted..... in the volume of the attachments..... with all the other documents from.... the register of notifications.

Reading given of this act, it was signed by me, by the groom, and by the witnesses, but not by the bride, being illiterate.

Verified today, on the 13th of October in the year 1871, in Sala Consilina
Michele Arcangelo Florio
Allesandro Landi
Michele Bigotti
FrAnt Bove

Checked today, the 13th of October in the year 1871, in Sala Consilina
G. Pretone
A. Capelli
Attachments
Marriage1871(p1).jpg
Marriage1871(p2).jpg