Help with a marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
parkergambino
Rookie
Rookie

Help with a marriage record

Post by parkergambino »

I have some questions about this 1834 marriage between Antonino D'Ajello and Giuseppa Giovanna Buzzetta

You will notice on the first page that there are two instances of crossed-out names. My interpretation of what I see is that the crossed out [XX vedovo di Rosolia Buzzetta XX] for the groom Antonino D'Ajello, and the crossed out [XX vedova di Antonio Messina XX] for the bride are both errors made by the scribe, that are corrected by the crossing out, and do not represent part of the record of this document.

On the second page, it seems like quite a number of documents (9 or 10) needed to be reviewed before the union could proceed. This seems higher than usual, and I'm wondering if there was some irregularity in the proceedings. Perhaps there was some confusion on the part of the scribe due to the complicated nature of the supporting documents.

I would greatly appreciate a translation of the descriptions on the second page of the 9 or 10 documents that needed review, and any other enlightening comments about this record.

Thank you

Parker

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 0.jpg.html

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with a marriage record

Post by liviomoreno »

The list of documents should explain everything:
1 - birth record of the groom
2 - birth record of the bride
3 - Government authorization to Antonino d'Ajello to marry his sister-in-law Giuseppa Giovanna Buzzetta
4 - Death record of Rosolia d'Ajello [maiden name Buzzetta] previous wife of the groom
5 - Death record of Antonio Messina previous husband of the bride
6 - Death record of the groom's father
7 - Consent of the bride's mother
8 - Death record or the bride's father
9 - Notification released in Mondello that there are no oppositions to the marriage
The groom also declared that his mother and his paternal grandfather are deceased, and the bride declared that her paternal grandfather is also deceased, and that the place of death is unknown.

parkergambino
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with a marriage record

Post by parkergambino »

Thank you Livio!

Item # 3 that was the key piece I needed.

This document is part of a larger swirl of confusion. The other aspect of my inquiry concerned whether the names of the dead spouses on the first page were or were not crossed out. The "cross-out" lines are weak and not at all like some of the bold versions that I see elsewhere. Before your answer came in, I had independently established that this was the second marriage for both spouses, so the names of the first spouses are NOT crossed out, which is contrary to my original interpretation!

Parker