Translation of apparent military document?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
gascot
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of apparent military document?

Post by gascot »

My great-grandfather came from Paduli, he could barely read or speak English, and he was a simple man. However, among documents related to his emigration, I found this weird apparently military document that I can't make heads or tails of. My grandfather swears his father wasn't a soldier, yet this document seems to suggest otherwise? Maybe? I'm not even 100% sure what it says. Would appreciate a translation, and an explanation of what this implies as well.
felicecert_.jpg
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Translation of apparent military document?

Post by PippoM »

Since Italy became one nation, male citizen were enlisted for military service, and had to serve during a time frame lasting between one or two years (I can't be accurate).
This document is an "unlimited leave sheet" for him.
Young men left for their service at 20. As I see your GGF was born in 1894, and the document states the leave for him in 1914. So, I wouldn't be sure that he actually served in the army, though, if he did, he must have been a soldier for a short time in his life, like most of Italians.
Moreover, if he had no special reasons for being exempted, he should have served in WWI, that started the next year (for Italy).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Translation of apparent military document?

Post by mmogno »

To learn more about Felice Rossetti's military service, you can ask for the "Ruolo Matricolare" at the State Archives in Benevento.
as-bn@beniculturali.it
http://archiviodistatobenevento.benicul ... ispondenza

ROSSETTI
Nome: Felice
Luogo di nascita: Paduli
Classe: 1894
Data di nascita: 08/10/1894
Registro: 82
Matricola: 30285
http://archiviodistatobenevento.benicul ... cole/32504
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱