German or Brother?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
darkerhorse
Master
Master

German or Brother?

Post by darkerhorse »

In the 1700s there was a family with the surname "Germano" living in Sicily. It wasn't a very common surname.

Of course, the word "Germano" reminds you of the word "German" so perhaps they were originally from Germany.

However, I know that "Tedesco" is the common word in Italian for the nationality we call German.

Moreover, I discovered that the Latin word "germanus" means brother. Perhaps the same root as the word "germinate"?

Which is the more likely derivation for the family name "Germano" living in the 18th century in Sicily? German or brother?

Or, is there a better alternative?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: German or Brother?

Post by PippoM »

Germano is also a person name, from the various saints who had such name.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Anyone else?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It is quite possible that "Germano" began as a foundling name. It was up to the Official to name babies that had been found and anything went really. Some of the names given are very interesting. Maybe research the name Germano, place it in inverted commas like I have done and alongside use some of the words given for foundlings. e.g. trovatello
There are so many different titles given to children who were abandoned/found. I have a knock at the door so will leave to you. Good luck.

Angela
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

My guess would be "brother" over "German". Especially since "Hermano" is brother in Spanish/Portuguese.

My grandmother would sometimes refer to the "Germanesi" (she never used "Tedeschi"), but her dialect/speech was so screwed up after she came to the US it's not even funny...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 05:09 It is quite possible that "Germano" began as a foundling name. It was up to the Official to name babies that had been found and anything went really. Some of the names given are very interesting. Maybe research the name Germano, place it in inverted commas like I have done and alongside use some of the words given for foundlings. e.g. trovatello
There are so many different titles given to children who were abandoned/found. I have a knock at the door so will leave to you. Good luck.

Angela
That's one I hadn't considered. The person in question lived in Sicily in the 1700s so it's next to impossible to research.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

MarcuccioV wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 05:26 My guess would be "brother" over "German". Especially since "Hermano" is brother in Spanish/Portuguese.

My grandmother would sometimes refer to the "Germanesi" (she never used "Tedeschi"), but her dialect/speech was so screwed up after she came to the US it's not even funny...
I tend to agree that brother is the mist likely origin.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I was just wondering if there was German heritage, which is why I asked.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:53 I was just wondering if there was German heritage, which is why I asked.
I know. I would think they would use a form of Tedeschi over Germano. But it's just my opinion...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I believe by your posts you haven't done any of the DNA autosomal tests yet. Was Germano a relative..? Your ethnic results might (or might not) shed some light, but those are your private affairs. Just trying to help. :wink:
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The Germano family in question has been living in Sicily since at least the 1700s (and probably much longer) so they are, in effect, Sicilian. I was just wondering if they could have come to Sicily from Germany, but as been said Germano more than likely refers to brother (or a saint).

Yes, Germano comes into my family tree seven generations back. No one in my immediate family has had DNA tests. Some 2nd and 3rd cousins have. I could check with them, but we don't share that much DNA to begin with.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I suppose it could go either way. DNA probably wouldn't help going back quite that far (it's possible it could appear as a trace ancestry). Since "Tedesco" IS a known Italian surname (Germano as well), it makes it all the more confusing.

It was one of the reasons I listed "Hermano" from the Spanish -- it could just as well have come from Spanish origins...
Mark