Birth Cert Translation - Maritano

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JohnBhoy
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Cert Translation - Maritano

Post by JohnBhoy »

Hi all,

I am trying to trace potential siblings of my G.G. Grandmother through records for the town she was born and have come across this birth cert which may be connected...I would appreciate a little help with translation.

The family name is Maritano,
My G.G.Grandmothers parents (my g.g.g.grandparents) were Antonio Maritano and Angela Listello

Looking through this cert I thought I seen these names within it...I don't know Italian so could be completely wrong :oops: :oops:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1019269

Any help is much appreciated,

best regards,
John
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Birth Cert Translation - Maritano

Post by darkerhorse »

Giovanni Maritano born in 1879 to Antonio Maritano and Angela Listello. Antonio's father was Dominico and Angela's was Giacomo.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

make that 1869.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, you are correct. :)

Birth No 8: Gio Maritano

Antonio Maritano, (son of the deceased Domenico Maritano), born in Valgioie, reported that at 10 am yesterday evening in the house of Stefano Perotto, was born a baby boy from his wife Angela Listello, (daughter of the deceased Giacomo Listello), a contadina, like her husband (contadino). Angela Listello was born in Mocchie.

The baby was given the name Giovanni. Antonio, the father, did not present the baby, and was dispensated for not doing so as the baby had died.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Just wanted to add that the date of birth was 1 February 1869. The registration took place the day after, on 2 February 1869.

Also, I hadn't realised that darkerhorse had posted and wondered why my post jumped back at me. Where I wrote "yes you are correct", I was referring to the poster - JohnbHoy, and not to darkerhorse.

Angela
JohnBhoy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JohnBhoy »

Thank you very much Angela and Darkhorse, this has been so helpful, I truly love this forum as so many members are willing to help others and so quickly.
I didn't know there was this much info contained on the cert either, it now gives me more names for my family tree and yet another level back in time /generations and more towns to search records.

Also thank you for including their 'rank' in society...Contadina /contadino as I have now learned a new Italian word and meaning :) :)

Thank you once again and I am sure I will be asking for some more help as I have discovered hundreds of Maritano records for this town and am slowly working through them looking for names I think I recognise.

best regards,
John
JohnBhoy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JohnBhoy »

Hi again,

would entry number 6 on this record be the death cert for the child?

Many thanks,
John
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

JohnBhoy wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 11:20 Hi again,

would entry number 6 on this record be the death cert for the child?

Many thanks,
John

Yes, it is. He died as soon as he was born. There seems to be a discrepancy between the death record and the birth record as to the date of birth.

Death No 6: Giovanni Maritano

Registered 1 February 1869
Appearing were Antonio Gariglio, 45 yo, and Ferdinando Gariglio, 22 yo, both landowners (proprietari), who reported to the official that at 10 in evening, yesterday, in the house of Stefano Perotto, borgato (hamlet) San. Pietro, died as soon as he was born, Giovanni Maritano, son of the living Antonio (Maritano) and Angela Listello, all born and living here.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

JohnBhoy wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 09:17 Thank you very much Angela and Darkhorse, this has been so helpful, I truly love this forum as so many members are willing to help others and so quickly.
I didn't know there was this much info contained on the cert either, it now gives me more names for my family tree and yet another level back in time /generations and more towns to search records.

Also thank you for including their 'rank' in society...Contadina /contadino as I have now learned a new Italian word and meaning :) :)

Thank you once again and I am sure I will be asking for some more help as I have discovered hundreds of Maritano records for this town and am slowly working through them looking for names I think I recognise.

best regards,
John

(See my previous post here for the translation of baby Giovanni's Death Record.)

You are very welcome for the help, and thank you for your kind words. There are always plenty of great people here happy to help. Just keep asking questions as well, it helps keep us sharp and often we learn something new as well.

Here is some good information, that you might be interested in, that Erudita wrote on the contadini – peasants. If you click on the link that I have provided, you will find further discussion.

"Contadino/Contadina (peasant)

The contadini (peasants) usually farmed on land which they did not own. Unlike the tenant farmer though, they did not pay rent to the landlord, but like him, had a contract with the landlord to work for a specified amount of time. They used simple tools such as hoes and scythes. They also shared ploughs and worked in groups. The groups might be comprised of as many as eight or ten individuals and also of both males and females. Few owned their own animals. The contadini engaged in various agricultural related tasks such as reaping, gleaning, and gathering grains. They also may have worked in the vineyards. While working, they normally sang songs which involved themes such as the difficulty of their lives. Before the unification of Italy, they worked on large estates but afterwards, when there was a shortage of land holdings, they may have been reduced to become braccianti or bracciali (day laborers). Day laborers would have to go to the town piazza each morning and basically were subjected to a bidding war. Those who were the lowest bidders would then be rewarded with work for the day." - Erudita
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/36861

Angela
JohnBhoy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JohnBhoy »

Thank you again Angela, that is a very interesting thread and helps widen an understanding of peoples roles, society in general and drivers for emigration. From research in my tree I see family members moved to the US to work in mining whilst others, like my G.Grandfather, moved to Scotland and again, worked in mining.

I have so much to discover and am an enjoying the detective work but would be really stuck if it wasn't for the help on this forum, I wish there was an Irish one that was similar as I have hit a brick wall on one great grand parent from there.

Over the coming days and weeks I am sure I will be posting for more help as I try to extend and add more branches...I will also need to find a source to get passed 1866 records and older info.

best wishes and truly grateful for everyone's help.

John