Are Sabbedda and Sabella the same surname?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Are Sabbedda and Sabella the same surname?

Post by Edward Keeports »

I know that in Sicilian, "bella" (beautiful) becomes "bedda", so I wonder if these surnames are the same.

Rosalia Sabbedda, daughter of Matteo and Francesca married Antonino di Meo on February 24, 1669.

bottom right

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915

Matteo Sabella, son of Pietro and Giovanna married Francesca Leto, daughter of Polito and Sigismonda on September 22, 1647.

middle left

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915

So are these the same person?
bbivona
Master
Master

Re: Are Sabbedda and Sabella the same surname?

Post by bbivona »

I think the chances are good that it is the same person, although I don't think there's enough to say absolutely that they are. In 19th and 20th century records you hardly ever see the Sicilian version of words and names show up in public records, but this is 200 years earlier in church records. With few hard rules on records and language I think it's much more likely that the Sicilian creeps in when people give their names at the church. It's highly likely that they would have pronounced their name Sabedda, and literacy being what it was in 17th century Sicily, I'm sure variations of names would have appeared in church records.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Re: Are Sabbedda and Sabella the same surname?

Post by Edward Keeports »

bbivona wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 15:31 I think the chances are good that it is the same person, although I don't think there's enough to say absolutely that they are. In 19th and 20th century records you hardly ever see the Sicilian version of words and names show up in public records, but this is 200 years earlier in church records. With few hard rules on records and language I think it's much more likely that the Sicilian creeps in when people give their names at the church. It's highly likely that they would have pronounced their name Sabedda, and literacy being what it was in 17th century Sicily, I'm sure variations of names would have appeared in church records.
Thank you bbivona! I will search for baptismal records to help confirm.

Perhaps I am related to Ernie Sabella... (he's an American actor who was in the Lion King)