16th century marriage act from Livo, Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

16th century marriage act from Livo, Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige

Post by rfiorille »

Matteo Stanchina and Maria Aliprandi marriage act 1579
Matteo Stanchina and Maria Aliprandi marriage act 1579
I would appreciate help extracting as much information as possible from this marriage act (first act on top of right page) between Matteo Stanchina son of Giovanni and Maria Aliprandi daughter of Aliprando (a notary?). I am trying to confirm the name of Maria's father. Matteo and Maria's first born sons were named Giovanni and Aliprando respectively, so I think I'm correct on the name of her father. Her father also appears to possibly be mentioned again in the third act on the right page and his name seems clearer, but he is listed as from Preghena in the first act and from Livo in the third.

Italics are my best guesses.

Thank you!
Robert

Edit: Moving to the next act I find what appears to be both Aliprando Aliprandis, notary from Preghena and other from Livo, mentioned in the second attachment in the act at the top of the right page. It seems there may be two Aliprando Aliprandis?

Thank you again!
Other act with Aliprando Aliprandis
Other act with Aliprando Aliprandis
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: 16th century marriage act from Livo, Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige

Post by paola52 »

Hi
The image is not very good and the last part of the page is missing so I'm in part guessing
Matteo Stanchina was the son of Giovanni of Livo
Maria was the daughter of Aliprando Aliprandi of Preghena, a notary
They had a dispensation because they were distant cousins
They were married in the church of Sant'Antonio in Preghena. By the way the church is still here, albeit with a modern, very ugly front
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di ... to_Adige)ù
They had a lot of witnesses, and possibly more than one priest, so they were from prominent families
Ciao Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

About the second act, the 1581 marriage
It appears that there were two different Aliprando Aliprandi or Aliprandini one living in Preghena, the other in Livo: both were witnesses
You may already know that the inventary of the archive of the parish in Preghena is online
There are a lot of acts by the notary Aliprando Aliprandini living in Livo
There is also an entry p.56 #123 concerning Matteo Stanchina, son of the deceased Giovanni, from Livo. (1608) It is very probable that he was the Matteo son of Giovanni who was married in 1579
https://www.cultura.trentino.it/archivi ... ta/1014866
rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rfiorille »

paola52 wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 15:09 Hi
The image is not very good and the last part of the page is missing so I'm in part guessing
Matteo Stanchina was the son of Giovanni of Livo
Maria was the daughter of Aliprando Aliprandi of Preghena, a notary
They had a dispensation because they were distant cousins
They were married in the church of Sant'Antonio in Preghena. By the way the church is still here, albeit with a modern, very ugly front
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di ... to_Adige)ù
They had a lot of witnesses, and possibly more than one priest, so they were from prominent families
Ciao Paola
Thank you for confirming Paola! Yes, the images are of poor quality, not only from the water damage, but these are scans from microfilms and I'm sure there has been some generational degredation in their reproduction. I do wish I had access to better quality images. Would you please be so kind as to let me know what it says regarding them as cousins? I just want to know what part of the document says that so that I can 'practice' seeing the words better in these records.
paola52 wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 16:07 About the second act, the 1581 marriage
It appears that there were two different Aliprando Aliprandi or Aliprandini one living in Preghena, the other in Livo: both were witnesses
You may already know that the inventary of the archive of the parish in Preghena is online
There are a lot of acts by the notary Aliprando Aliprandini living in Livo
There is also an entry p.56 #123 concerning Matteo Stanchina, son of the deceased Giovanni, from Livo. (1608) It is very probable that he was the Matteo son of Giovanni who was married in 1579
https://www.cultura.trentino.it/archivi ... ta/1014866
As I started going through more records I also noticed more instances of Aliprando Aliprandi as notary. Then for you to find him in the archives of the Preghena parish as well is a double bonus! I was not aware of the website you mentioned. I've begun perusing it in order to get a better idea of its structure and what it holds. It is already proving to be a very valuable resource, so thank you again for informing me about it! And yes, very probable this is the same Matteo Stanchina as the one in the 1579 marriage act!

Thank you so much!
Robert
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Would you please be so kind as to let me know what it says regarding them as cousins? I just want to know what part of the document says that so that I can 'practice' seeing the words better in these records.
Hi
Second line from top
"post dispensationem super? consanguinitatis (here the page is damaged, so I'm guessing based on what I have seen elsewhere) impedimento obtentam matrimonio rite coniuncti (fuerunt)"
They were married after obtaing a dispensation for the consanguinity impediment. At the time, just after the Council of Trento the "consanguinity" meant that they had a great-grandparent or a great-great-grandparent in common.
The dispensation was given by the bishop
Ciao
Paola
rfiorille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rfiorille »

paola52 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 15:28 Hi
Second line from top
"post dispensationem super? consanguinitatis (here the page is damaged, so I'm guessing based on what I have seen elsewhere) impedimento obtentam matrimonio rite coniuncti (fuerunt)"
They were married after obtaing a dispensation for the consanguinity impediment. At the time, just after the Council of Trento the "consanguinity" meant that they had a great-grandparent or a great-great-grandparent in common.
The dispensation was given by the bishop
Ciao
Paola
Awesome!
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you again Paola!