Was this the groom's first marriage?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
adefalco

Was this the groom's first marriage?

Post by adefalco »

Hello. I could use some assistance with a marriage record from Laurenzana, Potenza from 1852.

This is the marriage between my gr-gr-gr grandparents Michealangelo Bonamassa and Anna Rosaria Vomero.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Most of the information is easy to identify such as the age of the bride and groom, and the names and occupations of their parents. The pages prior to the one linked contain information about Anna Rosaria (her baptismal record, etc.)

However, I am wondering if there is any additional information about the conditions or arrangement of this marriage, as the groom (Michaelangelo) was 30 at the time of the marriage.

While it was not unusual for the bride to be much younger than the groom (Anna Rosaria was 19), it seems that 30 was a rather advanced age for a first marriage unless there was some specific circumstance for him to have not already been married.

This couple went on to have at least 3 children (one of them, my gr-gr-grandmother Maria was born in 1871) before coming to the US in 1881. They appeared so old to the clerk in France that documented them in the ship manifest that they thought they were the children's grandparents.

Any help trying to read the additional script would be much appreciated.

-Amy DeFalco
My paternal family names: DeFalco, Testa (Napoli), Bonamassa, Vomero (Laurenzana, Potenza), Russo, Napoli (Alessandria, Cosenza, Calabria)
DNA on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FamilyTreeDNA
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Was this the groom's first marriage?

Post by Tessa78 »

If he was a widower, the death act of his first wife would have been listed on page two among the documents presented to the official for the marriage. No death act is listed.

T.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Their death acts should also indicate whether widow/widower was first, second, etc. spouse of the deceased.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adefalco wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 21:06 Hello. I could use some assistance with a marriage record from Laurenzana, Potenza from 1852.

This is the marriage between my gr-gr-gr grandparents Michealangelo Bonamassa and Anna Rosaria Vomero.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Most of the information is easy to identify such as the age of the bride and groom, and the names and occupations of their parents. The pages prior to the one linked contain information about Anna Rosaria (her baptismal record, etc.)

However, I am wondering if there is any additional information about the conditions or arrangement of this marriage, as the groom (Michaelangelo) was 30 at the time of the marriage.

While it was not unusual for the bride to be much younger than the groom (Anna Rosaria was 19), it seems that 30 was a rather advanced age for a first marriage unless there was some specific circumstance for him to have not already been married.

This couple went on to have at least 3 children (one of them, my gr-gr-grandmother Maria was born in 1871) before coming to the US in 1881. They appeared so old to the clerk in France that documented them in the ship manifest that they thought they were the children's grandparents.

Any help trying to read the additional script would be much appreciated.

-Amy DeFalco
The marriage promise document states that Michelangelo was 33 (trentatre), he was born 1819 Sept 27 (see image 2)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here's the original Marriage Record, in case you don't have it: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html

The one you posted is a handwritten copy of the original record, filed with the processetti.

I agree with what Tessa and Livio have said.

I think what darkerhorse has said is somewhat misleading - in my experience Death Acts do not always list all previous widows/widowers.

The correct spelling of the groom is Michelarcangelo Bonamassa and his age was 33. The bride is Anna Maria Rosaria Vomero, 19 yo. They both lived in Strada Troiana.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

In my experience, at least in Sicily, death acts note if the widow/widower was not the first spouse of the deceased. Also, they note in marriage acts whether the bride and groom had never been married ("celibe"). Recording practices on the mainland might have been different.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The poster stated that the couple immigrated to USA in 1881
It is likely they died there, and not in Italy.

T.
adefalco

Post by adefalco »

Thank you all for this additional information. I most definitely mis-read Michealarcangelo's age.

I'm so thankful for the records available on the Antenati as they have helped me go back additional generations. Now I have to go look for additional children born to this couple. I only know of the 3 that traveled to the US: Rocco, (Maria) Antonia, and my gr-gr grandmother "Maria" (I believe she was Maria Rosaria but went by the name of Maria or "Mary" in the US). Maria Antonia would have been named for her maternal grandmother. I suspect that "Rocco" was named for St. Rocco, or was born on the saint's day (thus there are probably other children I have not yet found).

As an additional side note, I suspect that my gr-gr grandmother Maria was arranged to marry my gr-gr-grandfather Giuseppe Russo when she came of an appropriate age (in her case, she was roughly 16). Giuseppe Russo was also an older groom who emigrated to Chicago from Alessandria del Carretto in Calabria. The family probably met at church, and spoke similar Lucano dialects.

Thanks again for the assistance in reading the records.
My paternal family names: DeFalco, Testa (Napoli), Bonamassa, Vomero (Laurenzana, Potenza), Russo, Napoli (Alessandria, Cosenza, Calabria)
DNA on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FamilyTreeDNA