Help with a strange birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
holdenrh

Help with a strange birth record

Post by holdenrh »

I came across this birth record, and I can't quite tell what it is saying. Can someone help me out?

I know the child died at one year, 15 days, and I know the child was living in the Milano Hospital. I also think the last name is "Gaj", but I haven't seen that surname before. Is that a real surname, or is it code for something? I also see the child has unknown parentage.

I don't understand the meaning of "essendo espocita del detto spedale". Does that mean ward of the hospital?

Thank you!!
Attachments
Picture1.png
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help with a strange birth record

Post by PippoM »

It's the death record of Giuseppina Gaj, daughter of unknown parents, born in an unknown place, living in the "Civile Spedale" of Milan (that's probably where some foundlings were raised).
A the baby was a foundling, she was given her surname by the Registrar. However, "Gaj" (also spelled "Gay", or "Gai") does exist in Italy
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Lorettabon

Re: Help with a strange birth record

Post by Lorettabon »

Hi, holdenrh
Whenever a surname needs clarification I use several online resources. For example, paginebianche.it, the Italian whitepages. Enter a surname and you'll either find results, or similar names when the one you're using isn't found. Granted, these are current names in Italy, but it is a start.

Then, there is forebears.io. This surname and forename site will give you worldwide results that can be narrowed down to one locality in the world. It also offers variations of the name you've entered. Again, it will corroborate what you find on other sites or just give you some pointers.

Gens.info/Italia is another surname mapping site. Excellent, with maps.

Finally, the most definitive approach is to look at as many entries as you can, on the indexes of the Italian documents you're using. FE: If you're researching Colledimacine, Abruzzo, 1870 births, look at the indexes of MANY other years, as well as the indexes of other record groups (marriages, deaths). Expose yourself to as many surnames as possible. Eventually, you'll acquire a list of the most common ones and the search will become easier for you.
Good luck