Same Person?? - Pietro Lo Blundo/Biondo - Death and Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sbiondo257
Veteran
Veteran

Same Person?? - Pietro Lo Blundo/Biondo - Death and Marriage

Post by sbiondo257 »

I recently received a link to one of my ancestor's death records, but I'm not sure if it's really him. I have his marriage record and with the names of his parents, but the priest apparently didn't include the parent names on the death record. Could people give their opinions about whether they think the records are for the same person? Also, is it possible to get a translation of the death record? I'd appreciate any help you could give! :D

Thank you,
Salvatore Biondo

Link to Death Record for Pietro Lo Biondo:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351643701

Marriage Record for Pietro Lo Blundo:
Attachments
Pietro LoBiundo Marriage Zoomed.jpg
Pietro LoBlundo Marriage.jpg
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Same Person?? - Pietro Lo Blundo/Biondo - Death and Marriage

Post by PippoM »

The death record doesn't give any info that can make us sure it's the same person.
In fact, Pietro's parents are not mentioned (left blank).
His age at death (60 years) makes him a candidate to be the one of the marriage record, as he would have been 28 at marriage.
You'll have to check if there are other people by the same name...was Biundo/Lo Biundo popular there, at that time?
The record says the usual things about a death.
It is dated Jul 25, 1660; Pietro was confessed on day 18, communicated on 20, Last Rites on 22, and on 24 at 21 "returned his Soul to her Creator, in the womb of the Holy Church". His body was buried in the Church of San Castro today at 14.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
sbiondo257
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sbiondo257 »

Oh okay, I think that it was a rather common name in that region. What do the times mean on the record? You said he died on the 24th at the time of 21? and that he was buried at the time of 14?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It's the time of day.
At present, in Italy we count hours from midnight (0) to midnight (24) or, alternatively, from midnight to noon (0-12), and then again from noon to midnight (0-12). In the latter case, though it's similar to English way, we are less accurate, in the sense that (if there's no possible ambiguity), we don't specify "am" or "pm". For instance, if we make a business appointment at 2pm, we just say "at 2", as it wouldn't be usual to meet at 2am.
Were it written in a modern record, 21 would be 9pm, and 14, 2pm.
In the XVIII and first half of XIX century, the so-called "Italian time" was in use. It was variable, as the count started half an hour after the sunset (from 1 to 24), and, of course, that was different according to the season.
But in the 1600's, I think time of day was computed differently, probably starting from noon or midnight (but I'm not sure). In the case of this record, I guess they started at midnight, like in Italy today, as I'd find weird that Pietro was buried at two after midnight.

I hope I was able to explain, and I'd ask you to tell me if there are evident mistakes in my English (for future improvement)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
sbiondo257
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sbiondo257 »

Okay thank you! I wasn't aware of the different times. And I can't see anything to correct, your english is very good!