Death of Andrea Roccamatisi

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Death of Andrea Roccamatisi

Post by Edward Keeports »

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915

Andrea, son of deceased Pasquale and deceased Agatha "Rachamatisi" (spelled like this in the record, but the modern spelling of this surname is Roccamatisi), age ???, lived in Monreale and originally from ???

April 1638???

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915

Here on the bottom right is the marriage of Andrea Roccamatisi. No one could tell for sure what his parents names were. Guesses for the father were Lorenzo and Giovanni Cola, and the mother could have been Carolina.

But maybe the names their are Pasquale (the father's name looks like it ends with -la, could be an old spelling) and Agatha.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Death of Andrea Roccamatisi

Post by erudita74 »

In the first record, Pasquale was from Monreale. I believe it is the priest who was the confessor-the priest to whom he confessed his sins before dying-who was the person who lived in Bagheria? (Palermo). Pasquale may have been age 40, but I'm not sure about that.

In the second record, I think that Giovanni Cola is the correct name, with Cola being a shortened version of the name Nicola. So the name in Italian could have been Giancola. I think that the mother was Caterina and not Carolina.

Erudita
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

erudita74 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 13:05 In the first record, Pasquale was from Monreale. I believe it is the priest who was the confessor-the priest to whom he confessed his sins before dying-who was the person who lived in Bagheria? (Palermo). Pasquale may have been age 40, but I'm not sure about that.

In the second record, I think that Giovanni Cola is the correct name, with Cola being a shortened version of the name Nicola. So the name in Italian could have been Giancola. I think that the mother was Caterina and not Carolina.

Erudita
Thank you Erudita. So it seems like there were 2 Andrea Roccamatisis of around the same age who both lived in Monreale, but I cannot find any Roccamatisi records in Monreale from the 1500s. Weird. I would suspect, assuming that the father of my Andrea really was Giovanni Nicola, that the two Andreas were cousins, both named after a grandfather who was also Andrea.
Roccamatisi doesn't sound typically Sicilian, either, the family could maybe be Arbereshe or something.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

From what I can find online, the surname appears to be specific to Palermo/Monreale. I do think you are on the right track concerning its origin, even though I see online that the etymology of the surname is obscure. The reason I say this is because Prof Fucilla, in his book on Italian surnames, suggests that the surname Matisi (the second part of your compound surname) is possibly Italo-Albanian.
Erudita
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

erudita74 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 17:20 From what I can find online, the surname appears to be specific to Palermo/Monreale. I do think you are on the right track concerning its origin, even though I see online that the etymology of the surname is obscure. The reason I say this is because Prof Fucilla, in his book on Italian surnames, suggests that the surname Matisi (the second part of your compound surname) is possibly Italo-Albanian.
Erudita
It could also maybe mean "Citadel of Malta" https://www.academia.edu/45164465/Cassa ... 2013_52_60