Marriage Record Translation - Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sams
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage Record Translation - Help

Post by sams »

I am looking for some assistance in reading the marriage record for Maria Carmela Sciabica.

Following is what I have been able to determine.

Marriage date: July 31, 1838, Church of San Gerlando

Maria Carmela Sciabica, age 25, born in Joppolo, residing in Girgenti.

Father: Don Carlo (deceased) Why a title of Don?
Mother:Donna Gerlanda_____________, age 60 Why a title of Donna?

Spouse: __________________________________??, age 29, born in Sciacca, residing in Girgenti, profession ______________________??

Father: Calogero (deceased)
Mother:_________________________________, age 58

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Marriage Record Translation - Help

Post by arturo.c »

Mother: Donna Gerlanda IELI, age 60 Why a title of Donna?

Spouse: Amerigo MANDRACCHIO, age 29, born in Sciacca, residing in Girgenti, profession Coltellino (knife maker?), residing in Girgenti, quartiere San Girolamo near Porta Maggiore

Mother: Margherita SALIS, age 58
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've just had a quick look at this and also checked the indices. I'm reading differently in some places so I've highlighted where and have made notes below.

arturo.c wrote: 25 May 2021, 02:20

Mother: Donna Gerlanda IELI, age 60 Why a title of Donna?

Spouse: Amerigo MANDRACCHIO age 29, born in Sciacca, residing in Girgenti, profession Coltellino (knife maker?), residing in Girgenti, quartiere San Girolamo near Porta Maggiore

Mother: Margherita SALIS, age 58
Marriage date was 7 July 1838, but the details were entered on 31 July 1838.

I don't think the groom's name is Amerigo, it is possibly Accursio? and the surname is spelt Mandracchia with an "a" at the end.

Correct spelling of grooms mother's first name is Margarita and I'm reading the surname to be Falco? and definitely not Salis.

All for now.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Re your question about the titles "Don" and "Donna" the following may help:

The titles of “Don” (Lord) and Donna (Lady), while sometimes indicating noble birth, were often given to people of high social standing within a town – be it because of wealth, education, or political position etc. (People such as property owners, priests, doctors, lawyers etc). The use of Signor and Signora would also be a title of respect but maybe not always to the same degree.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I checked the index (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0) and the groom is Annisio Mandracchia. The name Annisio (or Anisio, with only one "n") is very rare: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisio.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote: 25 May 2021, 07:38 I checked the index (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0) and the groom is Annisio Mandracchia. The name Annisio (or Anisio, with only one "n") is very rare: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisio.

Good catch Livio.

Angela
sams
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sams »

I want to thank everyone for their response. The information is greatly appreciated.

I do have an additional question concerning the marriage date. In reading the records is the actual event date the date noted in the civil record and not the date located on the right with the church information. I would have thought the actual event date was the date the marriage was performed at the church.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

sams wrote: 25 May 2021, 16:53 I want to thank everyone for their response. The information is greatly appreciated.

I do have an additional question concerning the marriage date. In reading the records is the actual event date the date noted in the civil record and not the date located on the right with the church information. I would have thought the actual event date was the date the marriage was performed at the church.
Angela already pointed out that the actual marriage date is 7 July 1838, celebrated in the Parish Church
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I 've located the marriage attachments (allegati/processetti) for you. It will take you back another generation and hopefully help to confirm some things for you.

Amongst the allegati for this marriage are:

1. Baptism/Birth of the Groom (Confirms parents are Calogero Mandracchia e Margarita Falco.)
2. Death of the Father of the Groom
3. Death of the Paternal Grandfather of the Groom
4. Baptism/Birth of the Bride
5. Death of the Father of the Bride
6. Death of the Paternal Grandfather of the Bride
7. Marriage Banns – Check out image 1058 PARTE SECONDA – groom’s given name?

The allegati begin here with the groom’s baptism and birth details. Now that I look at these records, I’m still seeing Accursio as one of the groom’s given names? These are all Latin records, except for the Marriage Banns, so, if Livio doesn’t have time to translate them for you, you can repost these for translation, maybe separately, so others can pitch in, as there's a bit of work involved in reading Latin.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Re the Marriage date: Look at the right side column of the record where it says
“… ha certificato, che la celebrazio-
ne del matrimonio e seguita nel
giorno sette
del mesi di
Luglio anno corrente...” so, in other words, married on 7 July current year - i.e. 1838.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Accursio, this is the name!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote: 26 May 2021, 08:20 Accursio, this is the name!

Fantastic. Thanks for confirming Livio. After I saw the index that you posted earlier I was swayed towards Annisio, but then when I located the allegati today, I was swayed back again to Accursio. Both names are new to me.

Angela