Translation & context needed for microfilm description

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Translation & context needed for microfilm description

Post by peggymckee »

The LDS church has the following baptismal records on microfilm. I don't speak Italian. My question is: are these the records for baptisms that took place at the cathedral (Santa Maria del Fiore) only--or for the whole Archdiocese of Florence. I am looking for birth records from Sesto Fiorentino, which is in the Archdiocese of Florence. Many thanks. Peggy M

"Chiesa cattolica. Santa Maria del Fiore (Firenze) Microfilm dei registri originali nel Opera del Duomo, Firenze. C'è la possibilità che i registri coprano altre parrocchie oltre a Santa Maria del Fiore. Fino a circa 1790 i registri sono ordinati per nome invece di cognome."

I believe the last sentence reads "Up to approximately 1790, the registers were ordered by (given) name instead of last name (surname)." Is that a correct translation?
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translation & context needed for microfilm descripti

Post by elba »

"Chiesa cattolica. Santa Maria del Fiore (Firenze) Microfilm dei registri originali nel Opera del Duomo, Firenze. C'è la possibilità che i registri coprano altre parrocchie oltre a Santa Maria del Fiore. Fino a circa 1790 i registri sono ordinati per nome invece di cognome."

The Catholic Church. Santa Maria del Fiore (Florence) Microfilm of the original registers of the work of the Florence Duomo (cathedral). There is a possibility that the registers cover other parishes in addition to Santa Maria del Fiore. Until circa 1790 the registers were arranged (listed) by first name instead of surname

N.B. Santa Maria del Fiore = Saint Mary of the Flower

Hope this is usefu.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation & context needed for microfilm descripti

Post by Incipit »

The original baptism records of Santa Maria del Fiore are available online at the following address:
http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/battesimi/

In the archive of the Opera of Santa Maria del Fiore there are also the indexes for these records, ordered by surname, but they have not been digitalized.

Unfortunately for you, these records DO NOT INCLUDES SESTO FIORENTINO, which acts are actually held partially in the Archidiocesan palace, just in front of the Florentine Baptistery and dome, and partially in the Sesto Fiorentino Church of St. Martin.

Hope this will help you!
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com