Italian Language Courses

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JenChiarenza

Italian Language Courses

Post by JenChiarenza »

Greetings! I am in search of a good Italian Language course. I have heard that the Rosetta Stone is very good, but welcome any advise. My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in the near future with the possibility of purchasing some property there. My husband is Scilian and my father and grandparents are from Naples (Procida) and Calabria. Grazie Mille!
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Language Courses

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Jen,

I registered for an Italian course at our local community college--and I have been very impressed. For $600, I have class one hour a day, 5 days a week for 4 months. The teacher is fabulous. After three weeks, I can already speak a bit and I'm very surprised at how much I can read. Even my aural comprehension is good.

I could have audited the course, but decided to take it for credit to keep up my motivation. That's why I decided against an internet or CD course. I felt I needed the structure.

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

If you are disciplined and will use the computer, the Rosetta Stone is very good. Everything is done by pictures and you'd be surprised how quickly the sentences build. THe good thing is that you get used to not translating from English. If you go to their website, there is a sample lesson.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Thanks for that info, I was thinking about Rosetta Stone. I'm going to try the sample lesson.
JenChiarenza

Post by JenChiarenza »

Thank you very much for the information. I will check into the local CC -- that was a good idea...everyone I speak to about learning a new language also say to find someone you can speak with to practice, as well. Thanks again. Jen
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I wish I could go Peggy's route. It sounds a lot better than what is available in my area! I am doing an adult enrichment program which is offered through the local board of education. It is only $90 for 10 weeks of instruction...2 hrs. a week. Not as great as what Peggy has, but it helps to have a live person correct your pronounciation.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I agree there is nothing like practicing with someone. If courses aren't available or you need a supplement, one feature of Rosetta Stone is very useful. The native speaker will say a sentence and you can see the graph. When you repeat it, it shows on the graph so that you can see how close you are to the native's pronounciation. You can then do drills for certain sounds that you need practice with. My step children used it to learn English and it really helped them a lot.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

I just purchased Rosetta stone and love it. There is also a 6 month money back guarantee if it does not work for you.

Deborah Aceto Larsen
Proud to be an Italian American
maddaliena

Post by maddaliena »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The best way to learn Italianis to know the basic grammar and memorize verb endings in are ere and ire endings' much like in english..I go, he (child)goes, he she goes, we go, you plural (archiac but beautiful) and they go.

Once you memorize endings ,then memorize vocabulary and a few rules of grammar you can create sentences as you rumble along a road,train or plane. The trouble is nobody wants to exert themselves andso they learn phrases and never go beyond the end of their noses and cannever maintain a conversation with any italian they meet...

Maybe phrases will get you a hotel, food and "entertainment" but so does fingerpointing. I still use the verb wheel which I purchases in High school to memorize the different conditons for the use of verbs//like I shoul go, I used to go, I went , I will go etc

I would get a High school grammar book and teach yourself and use Rosetta as a crutch. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

May I suggest for those interested in learning Italian to go to www.verbix.com/languages/italian.shtml

This is a simple first step explanation of Italian grammar. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.....cick on each of the 10 verbs for their conjugations...=Peter=
maddaliena

Post by maddaliena »

every language is not a "dead thing " that you can learn so alone without a feedback...you will learn some words, some rules but not how to use them with native speakers...

when you can't have lessons with motherspeaker ( which is the best way to learn) you can watch italian movies with undertitles, read comics in italian because comics are often written in the spoken language, listen to italian radio online...at the beginning it will be hard to understand but with the time it will be always better...

ciao a tutti
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

I see many have tried Rosetta Stone. Has anyone tried Pimsleur?

I like the Talk Now language DVDs, too. I didn't try Italian with them, though.

Also, here's a site I think is pretty good. It has MP3s you can download and listen to. If you subscribe, you get the MP3s and worksheets, etc.

http://www.learnitalianpod.com/

My big problem is discipline. Sigh.