Marriage Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Emmy
Master
Master

Marriage Document

Post by Emmy »

Be very grateful if someone could translate this document for me please.

Emmy
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Marriage Document

Post by millybobs »

Emmy
my Latin is rather rusty but here's my attempt - I won't be offended if someone with better knowledge makes some corrections!

Gianbattista de Filippis [son of] Dominice and Maria Josefa Fionda, and Francesca Bastianiello, daughter of Pascha(?), have in the Church of Santa Maria of the Indulgences, marriage banns having previously been published before the people of the divine assembly, and no just impediment having been discovered, through [verbade??] present, and by mutual agreement of the above mandate, were joined together in matrimony by P [?paroca - Priest?] Iole de Traietto, in the presence of Domenice Benedicto La Marra and Francesca Joanna Thoma of Sora = Marcus Lanni, Curate to the Archbishop

Paul
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Emmy wrote:Be very grateful if someone could translate this document for me please.

Emmy
Emmy just today me too also found this document here http://www.bertotti.it/genealogia/index ... astianello and I remember your search....
the document is from the church in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido.. no all words are readable, but my two cents( no accurate :? ) :
act 34: De Filippis Giambattista and Bastianello Francesca.

A. D.( Anno Domini=God year) 1876 day 31 of December. Giovanni Battista( Giovambattista) De Filippis son of Domenico and Maria Giuseppa Fionda, with Francesca Bastianello daughter of Pasquale in Saint Maria Indulgentiarum( Santa Maria La Nova now), after banner marriage for the people.. it made previous, no impediment resulting, presenting reciprocal consent... are joined in the marriage by me P. ( father/priest) Joal.. ? Traiatto(?)present as witnesses: Domenico Benedetto La Marra and Francesca Giovanna Thama(?) from (?) Sora(?)-signed archipriest parish priest( curatus )Marco Lanni
[hr]
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Paul and Suanj
A BIG 'THANK YOU' to both of you for doing this for me.
At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the banns of marriage being posted but this is definate proof that they were married in 1876 in the Church then probably had a civil marriage in 1883 which is the date of marriage on their birth acts.
Now I need to check births to find out if they had any children between 1877/1880 so far as I know their 'first' child was born in 1881.

I just find it unbelievable that I have finally found this information - Paul I'm just soooo glad that you and your wife had that holiday in Sant'Elia last month :D :D :D

I have sent a letter to the priest thanking him for looking this up for me.

Emmy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Emmy the banner marriage are normally abt 1 month before/after of church marriage, so the civil marriage must be between november 1876 or max january 1877... so you must search in appropriate microfilm of Sant?Elia for to find the civil marriage... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Suanj
There is no record of their marriage on any of the LDS films -I have all the films on loan for that period and I have had a reply from the commune of Sant'Elia and from the Stato Civile di Frosinone and Stato Civile di Caserta and they have no record of their marriage either. Comune of Sant'Elia said it could have been lost/destroyed during the war. 1945 etc
It was at the bottom of both my grandparent's birth acts where it gave information about their marriage that it said they were married and the date was 1883 This is why I was confused because the first child that I found born to them, was born in 1881. I had a thought that perhaps they had to have their marriage recorded on their birth acts as proof that they were married because it was about this time they left Italy and came to London U.K.

Many Thanks for your reply
God Bless
Emmy xx
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well we cannot know the story, but sure they married in the church the 31 dec 1876, and this is sure, in the bottom are wrote that the 5 or 8 or 9(?) May 1883 the civil records officer of Sant'Elia married Giovambattista De Filippis at Francesca Bastianelli; and the marriage note is Caserta( ex sant'Elia province; in the marriage act the place of marriage note is always the province mentioned)28 january(?) 1884; so they married sure in Sant'Elia... the fact that the first child born in 1881 meaning nothing, because they was already married in the church in any case.... now is so strange that you cannot find the marriage act in Sant'Elia microfilms; in the bottom is clear: married in Sant'Elia.... now I believe that could be a marriage note mistaken and I advice you of to search again in the microfilms of marriages from november 1876 until dec 1883.... becaus eit must be in this period.... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

You will never believe this Suanj, but that is just what I was doing this afternoon at the Family History Centre I checked the indexes on the films I have then I checked EVERY document but there is no trace of their marriage in the films. My grandfather's brother's marriage is there but not my grandparents marriage. :cry:
Emmy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I understand and the only thing that I can think is that lacking some page or some registry.... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Comune di Sant'Elia did say that many records were lost during the war.
Thanks Suanj xx
Emmy