A challenge for you all - Italian letter dated 1833

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: A challenge for you all - Italian letter dated 1833

Post by liviomoreno »

These are my best shots after reading the original documents.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5663 ... 826nb0.jpg

Rispettabile Signora

Ho decisamente risoluto di ritornara in Grecia, e vorrei al più presto possibile mandar ad affetto questa mia determinazione. Egli è per questo, che rispettosamante la Supplico di volermi accordare la dimissiona dal di lei servizio, quanto più sollecita sarà la Grazia, che la addimando, altrettanto cresceranno in me le obbligazioni che le professo, e le professerò eternamante per la speciale preferenza che si è degnato di avere finqui a mio riguardo.

Accolza ad esaudisca la umili mie preci e mi creda col più profondo rispetto e subordinazione

Suo umilissimo devotissimo e obbligatissimo faccendiere

Giovanni Battista Falcieri

25 luglio 1825

Respectable Madam,

I have definitely decided to return to Greece and would like to fulfill my determination the earliest possible. Therefore I respectfully beg you to agree to my resignation from your service, the sooner you will grant me the grace, the more will grow the obbligations thay have (profess) towards you and that I will have eternally for the special preference that you have deigned to give me.

Receive and fulfill my humble prayers and believe me with the deepest respect and subordination.

Your very humble, very devoted and very obliged servant

Giovanni Battista Falcieri

July 25, 1825

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6739 ... 829kq6.jpg

La Sigra Marietta Rossi partì da questa casa il Giorno 13 Giugno 1829 aller ore 7 ¾ di mattina, indi si in barco arinpeto (?) del London Dock e partì alle ore diesi a sete menuti col bastimento qui indicatto sia

The Brig Ann, - London Dock Buoy in the River

e pati per san pietro burgo aconpagnata fino al bastimento da Antonio Loga Zambelli a da Aspasia di lui filgia.

indi da Giovanni Battista Falcieri

Mrs Marietta Rossi, left from this house on the 13th June 1829 at 7.45 in the morning, then she embarked at the London Dock and she departed at 10.07 minutes with the merchant ship (bastimento) here indicated as
The Brig Ann, - London Dock Buoy in the River
and she departed for Saint Petersburg accompanied to the ship by Antonio Loga Zambelli and by Aspasia his daughter then by Giovanni Battista Falcieri
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi Livio,

Well it certainly helps if you can transcribe the original Italian correctly, I suspect my copy typing may have been a little out on these so apologies to everyone, it isn't the easiest of handwriting to decipher!

The 1829 note is particularly interesting, and you have certainly changed the context of it, I'm not so sure it was written by Falcieri as it seems to imply him in the third party. In any case it is still very usefull to me and has potentially opened up some new lines of enquiry for me.

If I get any more italian documents to transcribe I know where to go. Thank you very much indeed!

Regards,

Claudia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Falcieri wrote:... I'm not so sure it was written by Falcieri as it seems to imply him in the third party. ...
In my opinion the two documents are written by two different individuals, the letter "d" is completely different and also the name Giovanni Battista Falcieri
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

I agree. Every document I have has his name spelt differently though, it is very strange but I agree with you that these two are not the same person.

Regards,

Claudia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'm focusing on calligraphy rather than spelling. It is evident that 2 different people wrote the two documents.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi Livio,

Yes I agree with you on that. I'm going to do a handwriting analysis on them but I think you are correct. The only one I think is genuine is the 1825 letter as it is a personal resignation and I know from other accounts that he presented his master with this letter who said he had written it.

There are some samples of writing allegedly by him in English but I am doubtful. I will pull them all off and take a better look.

Regards,

Claudia