Help understanding a wedding record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Help understanding a wedding record

Post by dalbino83 »

I could use some help in deciphering this record from the LDS microfilm. I've been trying to find Domenicangelo Albino's spouse; in the 1820s, I see births with a Domenico or a Domenicangelo with two different wives, and I was trying to find out which one was the one I should be tracking.

This wedding announcement from 1819 seems to say that the one that I wanted (father Giuseppe, mother Carmina Carlone) was married to Angelamaria Michele. The birth and death records attached to 1819 also are for Angelamaria Michele and her ancestors.

The record I understand

However, this record also showed up in 1819:

The record I don't understand

It seems to show a connection earlier in the year to Annamaria Sarpone (or Serpone; I can't really tell). What does this record mean? I have seen a bunch of birth records in the 1820s with these two as parents, so I know it wasn't just a temporary alliance. Is this Domenicangelo a different guy than the one who married Angelamaria Michele? I've checked all around 1819 and I don't see another listing for a marriage between Domenicangelo Albino and Annamaria Sarpone than this one record. Help!

Thanks,
Donna
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help understanding a wedding record

Post by Italysearcher »

The second record is a birth/baptism record for Michele, born to Domenicoangelo Albino and Annamaria Serpone, his wife.
The first record (is difficult to read) seems to indicate that Domenicoangelo was a widower and that his wife died the previous year. He wasn't yet 21 but you might want to see if there was a child from this marriage. She might have died in childbirth.
It was not uncommon to find two men with the same name, they were differentiated by their father's name. i.e Domenicoangelo Albino di Giuseppe.
It sounds like you are trying to search forwards rather than backwards. Is Michele in your family tree?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

His wife did die the year before; her last name was Antonacci, so Serpone is not her. I saw that there were children of Domenico/Domenicangelo Albino after her death by two different women, so I was trying to figure out if either of those guys was the one that I had been following that had been married to Antonacci.

I can't understand why Michele's birth/baptismal record is in with the marriage records of 1819. Since there were sentences in that record that I couldn't translate, I was hoping they explained it somehow. I still can't find a marriage for Domenico/Domenicangelo Albino and Annamaria Serpone; if I could, that would certainly help identify Michele's lineage!

Thanks,
Donna
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I was stuck once on a search and phoned the Archives in Caserta to look in the processi for me as I don't have access to the microfilms (Rome is too far) According to the civil marriage certificate the death certificate of the grooms father was attached and it was this I needed to confirm the pedigree. The death certificate attached was for a person with the same name, from the same town but with a different father and totally wrong time frame. I suspect the groom had asked a (distant) cousin in the town of origin to get the certificate for him from the town. He was marrying in another community. None of them could read or write so the town clerk probably gave him the first one he found with the right name. I also suspect this cousin didn't know the name of the father in order to get the right certificate.
I say all of this so you understand that sometimes, there are things we will never know. Forms get misfiled. Originally they were loose pages so if the file fell on the floor and got put back together without much care, it can happen.
There are no sentences in the birth certificate that are of any significance. It is quite simply a birth certificate with a notation at the bottom of the baptism.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.