Languages of Lombardia

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Veritas

Languages of Lombardia

Post by Veritas »

Can anyone please tell me the languages that are spoken and written in Lombardia? Was/Is Romansh spoken in the Alpine regions? I do not know if Romansh is the correct spelling in Italian (I believe it is Romansh in English, Romansch or Romantsch in German, and Rumantsch in Switzerland, but I am not certain of this).

I also have a few questions about names. Is Bartolomeo or Bartolomeus the spelling of Bartholomew in Italian? I have also seen a spelling of Bartolamus. What would be the Italian equivalent of Jerome? Also, I have not seen any words in Italian that begin with 'gier'. Does this combination exist, or would it be either 'ger' or 'ger'?

Thank you to anyone who is able to help!

Veritas
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Languages of Lombardia

Post by nazca »

Hi Veritas

from wikypedia:
"Rhaeto-Romance languages are a Romance language sub-family which includes multiple languages spoken in North-Eastern Italy and Switzerland"
In Italy we call it "Romancio"
Bartolomeo is the correct spelling (in ancient latin Bartolomeus) : from ancient aramaic «bar», son and «talmai», farmer.
the italian equivalent for Jerome is Girolamo (or ancient Gerolamo) or rarely Geronimo.
(from www.britannica.com for example :
Girolamo Cardano, or Gerolamo Cardano, or Geronimo Cardano, or Jerome Cardan (Italian physician and mathematician)
In italian the combination gie don't exist: it is alwais GE like german,geriatric,genealogy, general and son one...
regards

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

You might find this useful:

>LINGUE SVIZZERE<

Some 'Ticino' dialects are spoken/understood in the border regions, and as a language it is 'almost' identical to the alpine version of italian.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

Vincenzo and Elba - thank you both very much for the information. It was very helpful!

Vincenzo, I found the ancient meaning of Bartolomeo to be very interesting as well.

Veritas