Translation assistance with difficult 1782 Latin record for Negri

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Translation assistance with difficult 1782 Latin record for Negri

Post by jrbak » 14 Aug 2019, 01:26

Dear Translators,
Angela as well as others have been trying to help me locate the 1782 Latin birth record for Giuseppe Negri, son of Domenico, whose mother is Anna Ambrosio. Angela believes this is his record and we would like a Latin translation for this as it is difficult to read. The only thing that I can read is a 20 (on the month) Joseph, from Domenico, Ambrosio, jugalium (married or spouses) Negri and maybe the name Baratto or Baratta? Angela thinks the name could be Joseph Antonio. Would someone mind helping us with this; we would both appreciate it so much.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=442795

Best Regards,
Jefferie (jrbak)

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Translation assistance with difficult 1782 Latin record for Negri

Post by PippoM » 14 Aug 2019, 09:14

Well, I try, and this is what I read...
"Die 20 8bris 1782 ....
Joseph Antonius filius legitimus et naturalis ex Dominico ex Joseph A... et Anna ex ... Ambrosio jugalium Negro baptizatus fuit a Reverendo Paulo Antonio Negro postridie (?) natus ... (padrini?) fuerunt Joseph Antonius Antonijj Baratta et Dominica ex Joseph Mansueto (?)"

Oct 20th, 1782
Giuseppe Antonio son of Domenico, son of Giuseppe (Antonio?) ed Anna, daughter of ? Ambrosio was baptized by the Reverend Paolo Antonio Negro, the day after birth. Godparents were Giuseppe Antonio son of Antonio Baratta, and Domenica, daughter of Giuseppe Mansueto.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 » 15 Aug 2019, 00:42

PippoM wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 09:14
Well, I try, and this is what I read...
"Die 20 8bris 1782 ....
Joseph Antonius filius legitimus et naturalis ex Dominico ex Joseph A... et Anna ex ... Ambrosio jugalium Negro baptizatus fuit a Reverendo Paulo Antonio Negro postridie (?) natus ... (padrini?) fuerunt Joseph Antonius Antonijj Baratta et Dominica ex Joseph Mansueto (?)"

Oct 20th, 1782
Giuseppe Antonio son of Domenico, son of Giuseppe (Antonio?) ed Anna, daughter of ? Ambrosio was baptized by the Reverend Paolo Antonio Negro, the day after birth. Godparents were Giuseppe Antonio son of Antonio Baratta, and Domenica, daughter of Giuseppe Mansueto.
Could it be Domenico? (Well it would certainly fit the history if it was Domenico.) Just looking through the records it doesn't look like the Priest has a set way of writing the D. It looks like he may not have completed the letter "D" here. Just my suggestion. If it helps, I was reading Giuseppe Antonio for both father and grandfather as well.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 » 15 Aug 2019, 01:33

Anna Ambrosio's father was Domenico. We know this from her death record

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 » 15 Aug 2019, 03:15

erudita74 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 01:33
Anna Ambrosio's father was Domenico. We know this from her death record

Indeed we do, Erudita. That's why I wrote "Well it would certainly fit the history if it was Domenico" I wrote this because the script is unclear and to me it doesn't exactly look like "Domenico." Also, Pippo wasn't sure what the father's name was. I know that Jefferie wasn't so sure that I had found the correct record, (from another thread) so I suggested that she post it for the Latin readers.

Well, Latin Church Records are certainly interesting and challenging. I have to be careful I don't get hooked on Latin. At the moment, I am trying to decipher some non templated Spanish records that I have found for family. While they are a bit of a challenge at times, I think that they are much easier than Latin. I shall soldier on with those.

Best to you.

Angela :)

jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak » 15 Aug 2019, 18:49

Dear PippoM, Erudita and Angela,
Thank you all so very much for helping with the translation of Giuseppe's birth record. I never would have found this or been able to translate it. I take it that this is confirmed; OK?
Forever, sincerely grateful,
Jefferie (jrbak)