1669 baptismal record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

1669 baptismal record

Post by jml1991 »

Not sure if I am understanding this baptismal record dated 22 Feb 1659 for (I hope!)
Nunzio Bevilacqua. Is the first word part of the name? His father's name is Baldassare. His mother's name is Grazia. Is her surname di Romana or is that something else?
The record is from the Diocesi di Piazza Armerina, for the town of Pietraperzia in Sicily.
Thanks so much for any help!
Attachments
Bevilacqua bap1659.jpg

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1669 baptismal record

Post by jml1991 »

It is the first record at the top of the attachment.

darkerhorse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkerhorse »

What a treasure. The church records in my ancestral town in Sicily have been destroyed over time.

Could the first word be "maschio" meaning masculine?

I think you've got the name of the baby and his parents correct but I can't tell if that's a surname for Grazia or some other descriptive wording. You could check to see if "di Romana" is a surname found in that town. I wonder if a capital "R" would have been written like that?

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Hi darkerhorse,
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, the surname di Romana is a fairly common one in that town. I don't think the first word is maschio, and identifying the gender in that way would not be consistent with the other records in that file. I wondered if it might be a Latin form of Matteo, but not sure.
Such a shame that the church records in your town have been destroyed. Have you checked to see if the diocese of which the church is a part has copies of the records? For my ancestors' towns, the church records were kept both in the local church and in the archives of the diocese. In fact, the above record comes from the archives of the diocese, not the local church. In my experience of researching my family in three different Italian towns, the diocese records are more complete and accessible.

darkerhorse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkerhorse »

I didn't think it was a proper name because there looks like a comma after it. I was thinking "maschio", as in "baby boy" as an introduction - "baby boy, Nunzio". But I see what you mean about not conforming to other record formats.

What's the best way to identify the proper diocese? I'm most interested in church records prior to 1820, but also some in the later 1800s.

I also am searching for civil morti allegati records for 1897 and 1899, which Family Search doesn't cover. Is there a place where they might also be retained other than the town?

The town is in Siracusa Province now but I don't know how towns and churches were organized in Sicily back in the 1700s and 1800s.

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

What is the name of the town?

darkerhorse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkerhorse »

Melilli

The family's church originally was San Nicolo but they might have attended San Sebastiano church in later years.

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jml1991 wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 20:41
It is the first record at the top of the attachment.

I don't see the surname Bevilacqua in this document at all.

Infant is a male-Mattia Nunzio
Father: Baldassare-surname may be Piazza
Mother: Grazia di Romana
Godparents:
Godfather: Giovanni- surname is possibly Montalto but it appears to be written as Mont'alto, or maybe there are letters missing from the surname
Godmother: Nunzia Randazzo

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Thank you, Erudita! I wondered about the first name, but I've always seen Mattia as a female name, thus my thought re Matteo. Very happy that you also see the mother's surname as di Romana. Re the father's surname, it seems very odd (to me, anyway), but in the older documents, mostly prior to 1700, they would often write the surname of Bevilacqua as "Vivilacqua," something that I realized only through matching many, many documents for that family. So, though it is hard to read, the surname Vivilacqua does seem to be there, split between two lines: 'Vivi' at the end of the first line, continued with 'acqua' (which does look like Piazza or Pasqua) on the second. Thanks again!

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Darkerhorse,
Melilli is part of the Archdiocese of Siracusa, in the Parrocchia of Augusta. Family Search does have matrimony records (but not specifically Allegati) from 1866-1899, microfilm #1466296. Also, and this could be a gold mine of info for you, Family Search also has Riveli di Bene e Anime (census) records for Melilli for 1593-1816. These records potentially can include much information, including names of family members, real estate holdings, lists of possessions, etc. Here is the catch: although all these records are online, you cannot access them from your personal computer unless you have an account as a member of the Mormon Church. However, you would be able to access all of these records from any of the Family History Centers operated by the Mormon Church. If you search online, you will be able to find the Family History Center closest to you (don't know where you are, but there are a lot of FHCs throughout the US). Good luck!

mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

jml1991 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:01
... Vivi at the end of the first line, continued with l'acqua (which does look like Piazza or Pasqua) on the second.

darkerhorse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks for the information.

I have searched the Riveli records at a local FHC. I was able to identify persons from the 1811 and 1815 records, but the next available year is 1747, too much of a gap to track persons.

cedrone

Post by cedrone »

For jml1991:
Please note that Mattia is not a female name, it is a male name. The majority of Italian names ending in -a are feminine, but not all.
Regards.

jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Thank you cedrone. I believe that Mattia can also be a female name, one of the perhaps unusual ones that can be used for both males and females. I say this only because I have some females in my family named Mattia.

cedrone

Post by cedrone »

Probably in another country, I suppose you are in the USA, but in Italy it's only a male name. The same for Andrea, a female name abroad, but only a male name in Italy.
Regards.