looking for otherways to obtain information.

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

looking for otherways to obtain information.

Post by fredoniapeaches »

I'm such an impatient person. big fault of mine.

but as I wait for imformation to back via snail mail from Italy...

My great great Grandfather is from Roccaromana, Caserta, Campania.
I have his death cert. from the City of Rochester. both of his parents were listed as unknown. this is bothering me. i can't believe he never once mentioned the name of his parents to his children. but then again...in my family...family was never discussed!! everyone was always mad at each other. now that all THOSE people are dead...NOW we can talk about it all.
So I'm looking for who His parents were. so that I may be able to find who his siblings were...etc. because in my Area of Western New York...we've all been told all the DiLorenzo's are related here...but never told how. so I'm looking to make all those connections for everyone. because i'm the nose-iest and the most persistent.

so how might I find out in this country...who his parents were.

his info...

Ferdinando DiLorenzo b. june 1848 in roccaromano
married in Italy to: Carmela Parello (perillo maybe) in approx. 1882
first son Michele DiLorenzo born to Fred and Carmela in Italy on march 8 1885. (my great grandfather)
first came to America in 1889.
settled in Rochester and then years later died July 4th 1935.

his first wife died in childbirth in 1900, and he promptly remarried (and i think he had her shipped over from italy) to maddalena pollice (that's how it's spelled on his death cert.) and had a total of 14 children between the two wives.

I know he had a brother named Tony, with whom he stayed with the children in 1900 after the death of carmela. also staying their was a sister or sister in law maybe, with her son. but in America, and not sure if going by Italian name traditions...so i'm not sure, because they are listed as boarders.

and i have little to no info on both great great grandmothers. (carm and maud.).

any help in tracing them in italy...via internet...is GREATLY appreciated!!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: looking for otherways to obtain information.

Post by Italysearcher »

I suggest you order the birth films from the LDS and look for his birth certificate. It looks like many records were lost or destroyed during WW2 so his marriage record may not be there.
There are few records on line for the Caserta area unless done by some diligent researcher.
If he didn't marry until he was over 30 there might be his military record which you may be able to get from the State archives in Caserta.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Do you have all the Ellis Island and census records?
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

yup. I have all his records from ellis island (he came and went for a few years) and i have all his census frecord from 1900 on...i have his death cert and his obit. i also have the records from the Rochester City Directories. Monroe County and the City of and public library in Rochester have all been wonderful. very helpful folks there.

i just have been running into so many obstacles (as most people do, unless you can acctually go there) with gettin' records or finding the correct agency to get the records from in Italy.

because once i get his then i know, i'll be able to more easily find info on other family members.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Italysearcher wrote:I suggest you order the birth films from the LDS and look for his birth certificate. It looks like many records were lost or destroyed during WW2 so his marriage record may not be there.
There are few records on line for the Caserta area unless done by some diligent researcher.
If he didn't marry until he was over 30 there might be his military record which you may be able to get from the State archives in Caserta.

is there a snail mail address and form or anything, that i can send in to the LDS for stuff. their website (the one like ancestry) is very confusing to me. I don't know why either. i can never find what i'm looking for there...even when i had a paid account with them. i cancelled it out of frustration.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

perhaps this will help, written by member Trish:

I volunteer at a Family History Center as well as teach a class there on how to begin your genealogy. I have written the information below for our FHC. I think it might be useful for everyone when they are trying to locate microfilm.

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

This was updated!
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

Last edited by brujaojos on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Dear Wildspirt,

Can you tell me what it means if the Family History Center does not have records for my ancestors' towns? Does it simply mean they have not yet microfilmed them or do the records not exist? I am looking for birth certs for Montecorvino Rovella and Eboli.

What options are available to me if the Family History Center does not have my ancestors' records? Once, I found a place on the site where they explained that do not have many records for Campania and I wanted to attach the link, but I cannot find it again.

Thank you,
Denise
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Denise...
There are many towns in Italy which have yet to be filmed, mine
included.... :(
Doesn't mean that records aren't in existence, only that the Lds has
not yet filmed that town or that they have been denied access.
Occasionally you will run into towns where records are limited due to
natural disaster, or war.

When microfilmed records are not available for research, it then becomes
neccesary to write to the towns of interest, making individual request for the specific documentation you seek.

If you need assistance in making request, let the team know how they can help!!

wldspirit

DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Thank you very much!!!

In a related question, I recently learned that my Great-GPs were married in NJ ... as opposed to Italy as I had always thought) ... this helpful forum actually led me to the discovery.... thanks again!!!

My question - would the LDS happen to have marriage records for the state of NJ? The marriage would have taken place between June 1903 and May 1904, most likely on Aug 22, 1903 in perhaps Montclair, Passaic or Clifton.

Finally, I have been reviewing the websites of the diocese of Patterson and archdiocese of Passaic. Has anyone used them (or the specific parishes themselves) for marriage records? I don't know the precise church, but have been narrowing them down by "date founded" and whether or not they were Italian parishes back then.

Thanks,
Denise
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Great link for New Jersey, lots to explore thru the Lds:

New Jersey

wldspirit

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I had great luck using the FHC records for catholic church and cemetery records for Newark, NJ.
I got death, baptism and marriage records from the church registry and it only cost me the price of the microfilm. It was interesting to match church records against cemetery records and fill in the blanks. Just remember that spelling and alphabeticalization is hit or miss on the early records. Also church records were in Italian for early years and then switched into English.
Another hint is that ordering records from the town could be cheaper and faster than ordering from the State of New Jersey website.
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Cool. Thanks wildspirit and misbris!
Can you tell me if I should call the FHC first, before I go in, so they can order the appropriate microfilm? Or must I go in person to order it. I've read that it can take up to a month for the film to come in.
Also, the LDS recommended I go to the FHC in Brooklyn, because the one in Manhattan is not open very often and does not have a phone number.

Would the NJ centers have more films pertaining to NJ records on hand? Would it make more sense/be more productive for me to visit one of the Northern NJ locations?

Also, misbris, can you recommend a certain microfilm? Was there one in particular that had your records or did you find them on multiple.

Thanks again.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I knew the name of the church and the cemetery I was looking for. What surprised me was that the records had actually been microfilmed. The cemetery records were alphabetical by last name. The church records were chronological.

You have to go into the center and pay in advance to order the microfilm. I would call a few North Jersey locations to see if they might have the films you are looking for on permanent loan. If so, it would be worth a trip. Otherwise any center can order the microfilm you need.
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Cool. Thanks again, misbris and everyone.

You inspired me and I called the church I thought might be the correct one... and they found my ggp's wedding record!

They are mailing it to me... but I don't knowwhether they transcribe the info or send me a copy.

Now that I know the wedding date and exact location, I will definitely call around the FHC's in NJ.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

One more question - what are cemetery records? Do they include more info then the gravestone?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Just checked the records I have. They include: (not all are complete)

Name
Date of death
Date of Burial
Address
Church
Priest who officiated
Funeral Home
Plot #
Owner of plot

Knowing the plot number is important because I found that more than one person could be buried in a single grave. Sometimes infants or young children were buried and not noted on the gravestone. Many older graves do not have gravestones. It has been (and still is) a fascinating search.