Soldanos of Missanello

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
drilgirl

Soldanos of Missanello

Post by drilgirl »

I am looking for the parents of a Benedetto Soldano from Missanello born around 1888. I have found records of other relatives who have the same names as his 4 sons. does anyone have any information or even know where the Soldanos started in Italy?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Soldanos of Missanello

Post by suanj »

Soldano is a surname very popular in Italy( North and South).... if you can provide more details abt your Benedetto maybe we can help better... where he lived in USA? when emigrated? wife name?
Thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Soldano is an imported surname of Arabic roots derived from "Sultano"=sovreign prince and from 875 was the title of sovereigns in the Islamic world and particularly iin the Ottoman empire.

The name Soldan is Venetian and has its italian roots in the medieval nickname SOLDANO (in 1200 in both Liguria and Toscana as Soldanus)
Since Soldano started out as a nickname in Italy it first time use is difficult to trace. Sorry. =Peter=
~Peter~
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Beneditto imigrated to New York (Utica) I believe that he came across on the Bothina in 1895 but I also have a news paper clipping showing him getting married in Utica in 1891. He was in/ about 1862 and died about January 26, 1953 in New York. Most likly in Utica. His obituary was in the Utica Daily Press. He married Maria Rose Barrella about April 13 1891. I believe that the year is wrong. He also had 6 sons Senatro, Andrew, Peter, Rocco, Nicola, Jpseph and Anthony. Other name spellings found for this same person Bennet, Benedict and Benedetto. I am really trying to find the parents of this person. HELP!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
These may help.

If this obituary belongs to your family, it appears that at least one son, Pietro/Peter, was born in Italy
From Old Fulton NY Newspaper site

Do you have all of your US records? (census, military, naturalization, etc)
Valarie
---

Obit Utica NY Daily Press 22 Apr 1982

Peter Soldano born in Missanello, Potenza (Basilicata) 16 May 1895
father Benedetto
mother Maria Barrella

Pietro/Peter's 1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
born in Missanello
---

possible 1895 manifest

18 Nov 1895, SS Furst Bismark, Naples to NY
lines 56-59
(note: Maria would normally travel under her maiden name, in Italy women keep their father's surname)

Andrea(?) Barrella 28 (abt 1867)
- wife
- citizen of US
Senatro Barrella 3 (abt 1892)
- child
- citizen of US
Andrea Barrella 3 (abt 1892)
- child
- citizen of US
Pietro Barrella 3 mos (abt 1895)
- baby
---

also from the Old Fulton newspaper site

Utica NY Daily Press 23 Jan 1953

Benedetto Soldano obituary
born 12 May 1862 in Missanello
father Senatro
mother Ida

Utica NY Observer Dispatch 17 Sep 1927

Mary (Barrella) Soldano obituary

Note: the information in the obituaries could only be as accurate as the knowledge/memory of the grieving family members who helped to write it. It is possible that Benedetto met (?) and married Maria Barrella in Utica and that Benedetto and Maria went back to Italy for a visit? (where Mary had son Pietro)
---

If you want to write to Missanello for Benedetto's birth record:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Missanello
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via San Rocco 9
85010 Missanello (PZ)
Basilicata
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/55-missanello/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I think you have found my answer. I have a shorter obituary with identical info but the one you found has so many more details. Wonderful. I am so going to try thr italian form letter.

Thank you again
Christine
ChristianR

Post by ChristianR »

Hi! I stumbled upon this site while doing some random Google searches. Anthony (Pat) Soldano was my grandfather - so, Benedetto was my great grandfather. I may be able to give you more family info than what you are finding online. Are you a relative?

Christian
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Yes yes yes. Actually, my husband is the direct relation. Where are you. In italy or New York??? I have been looking so hard for a new connection. I found the small town in italy that they came from. But I am always looking for more info. Joseph (Joe) Soldano is my husbands grandfather who now lives in California. I know a little about Pat from an Obituary and Joe says there is no info about italy. He is actually in disbelife that I even found the town that the Soldanos originated from. My phone number is 928-660-1261 if you would rather just give me a call. Or send me yours if you dont have free long distance. What got you interested into family history?
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Hey, you are so my husbands second cousin or something
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

So I looked at my history stuff and I am trying to figure out Bennedetto Soldanos Parents names and info along with his wife's parents info Wife being Maria Rose Barrella. I also need a more accuret birth date for Maria.
Is your grandmothers name Rose Sangiacomo? Just trying to make sure we are related. But how many Anthony (Pat) Soldano's can there be.
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Sorry I keep posting stuff but I keep running across stuff. Any how Benedettos Parents were Senatro and Ida So theye are the ones I need info on.
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

I found you in my stuff. Your last name should be Riggalls right?
ChristianR

Post by ChristianR »

I sent you a private message with a bunch of info. Thanks!
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

drilgirl wrote:Beneditto imigrated to New York (Utica) I believe that he came across on the Bothina in 1895 but I also have a news paper clipping showing him getting married in Utica in 1891. He was in/ about 1862 and died about January 26, 1953 in New York. Most likly in Utica. His obituary was in the Utica Daily Press. He married Maria Rose Barrella about April 13 1891. I believe that the year is wrong.
I have found some dates for this family. Others have given great information above.

Parents of Benedetto you already have ..Senatro and Ida
Due to earthquakes some records are not easy to obtain from Missanello. I have tried to find burial sites for my ancestors but due to the terrain, land is at a premium there and I have been told land is reused.

The obit for Benedetto b. May 12, 1862 in Missanello; d. Jan 22, 1953 at his home in Utica states he married Mary Barrella in 1890 in St John's Church. Another article found says they were married in a civil ceremony April 13, 1891. They probably had a problem with the paperwork..just quessing.

He was on the Bothina with my grandfather also from Missanello who had also returned there for some unknown reason. They both lived in Utica around the corner from each other.

Children of Benedetto and Maria
Senatro b. 3/18/1891 Utica d. 7/24/1958
Andrea b. abt 1892 Utica d.7/3/1947
Peter b. 5/16/1895 Missanello; d 4/22/1982
Nicholas b. 6/2/1901 d. 4/27/1922
Rocco d. 1/12/1968
Joseph B
Anthony (Pat) b. 7/31/1906 Utica d. 11/6/1992
Anthony married Rose Sangiacomo 9/21/1929
Rose died 6/5/1985

Some good advice is above. Hope I found some info you can use to obtain records.

________
Carolyn
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Thank you for the new info. The birthdate you have for Bennedito is different from many others that I have so I am now going to look for him on microfish with this date. Not much luck with thte other dates. A distant relative gave me the following info about going back to italy..."My mother believes that the Soldano's actually had some money and came to the US, bought some land in Utica, then went back to Italy because of some minor war that was going on at the time, eventually coming back to stay.

This would make since of how they are married in Utica in 91 and the child was born in 95. I also figured that they could have went back because of the pregnancy. Who knows.

What was the name of your grandfather? Was he a friend of the Soldanos? How did you know that they lived near eachother or was it just from addresses out of the newspaper clipings? Are you in the Utica area?

A little over a year ago I sent letter in italian to missanellos church asking for birth and marriage info but I never heard anything back. It is so hard when almost all of the info is over there and I cant get to it. Hope to hear from you soon.
Christine