Can anyone make out the name of this comune?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Can anyone make out the name of this comune?

Post by cefalo2 »

I'm pretty sure the last word is Pozzuoli, so thought it might be Palestra di Pozzuoli .. but am having second thoughts.

Any help is appreciated! :D

Photo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone make out the name of this comune?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I am not sure that I can see two Z's there.

Here is a list of all comuni and frazioni in modern Italy, http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_frazioni/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:I am not sure that I can see two Z's there.

Here is a list of all comuni and frazioni in modern Italy, http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_frazioni/
Cool link, Johnny - thanks!

Happy Easter to everyone!
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

hi,
maybe is Bagnoli an hamlet of Napoli. Let me know what's at the top of certificate. I think there is the "comune" where your relatives gs gone.
try to post the entire certificate.

regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

nazca wrote:hi,
maybe is Bagnoli an hamlet of Napoli. Let me know what's at the top of certificate. I think there is the "comune" where your relatives gs gone.
try to post the entire certificate.

regards
Hi Nazca,

Thank you for responding. The document is an 1843 marriage from the comune of Torre le Nocelle in Avellino. The groom is Nicola Cefalo, son of Giovanni Cefalo and Margarita Gubitosa, who were also from Torre, but living in this different comune at the time of Nicola's marriage.

I also have the bann, but unfortunately the writing is worse on the bann than it is the marriage certificate.

I keep staring at it and so far all I can see is "Bagno della (illegible) di Pozzuoli" ... and I'm still up in the air regarding the Pozzuoli, as Johnny is correct that it could be only one 'z'.

Thanks for your help!
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Have you already looked at the processetti for this marriage? Maybe those records will have the town listed too be clearer than this one.
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

aliza24 wrote:Have you already looked at the processetti for this marriage? Maybe those records will have the town listed too be clearer than this one.
Hi Aliza,

Is the processetti the same as the public bann, or is that something different?
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

The processetti (or allegati in some places) are all of the 'supporting documents' required for a marriage. They can be a genealogist's dream come true with a little luck since you can often go back a few generations all in one shot!

When someone got married they had to provide their parents' information. If their parents were dead already then they would have to provide grandparents' info too. They were usually dead by then so then you'd get the death record with their parents as well. So you will find a whole "folder" of family information. They are wonderful!

I just checked the records for the town you mentioned - Torre le Nocelle- and I only saw pubblicazioni....hmmmm...??

I don't know why that is. Usually you see either proc. or allegati. I hope those books weren't destroyed or something. That would be terrible. Maybe someone else can tell you why they're not there for that town.

And you looked in the pubblicazioni and there was only the banns? Nothing else?
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

PS- I suppose it could be that this particular town didn't require the documents or something but somehow I find that unlikely. I've seen records from all over Italy and you usually find them.

You've got me curious now!
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

I just looked at the town records again. There are only 5 films available for this town! Geez- I've worked with some teeny, tiny towns with a small film selection but even they had more than five!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Actually there are two Zs in the word Pozzuoli in the record, as far as I can see. The first z comes down (below what I would call an imaginary line) and the second one is there but is formed differently than the first one and does not come down below the line. I have seen documents in which there are letter Ss formed in the same way where there the second looks different from the first and the first comes down below the line and the second does not.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Don't know if you know this site: someone's transcribing all the records from your town and putting them online! What a kind soul.

http://tlngenealogy.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -blog.html

I'd contact them since they're obviously very familiar with this town.
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

Okay, allegati, now I gotcha. Nope, none in Torre ... at least not in the Stato Civile stuff... and I haven't run across anything in the church archives either. Someone once told me those were sent to the archdiocese? Is this correct.. or did they just send copies and keep the originals at the local level?
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

aliza24 wrote:Don't know if you know this site: someone's transcribing all the records from your town and putting them online! What a kind soul.

http://tlngenealogy.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -blog.html

I'd contact them since they're obviously very familiar with this town.
That's me :lol: I don't know about kind, but definitely dedicated :lol:
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

maestra36 wrote:Actually there are two Zs in the word Pozzuoli in the record, as far as I can see. The first z comes down (below what I would call an imaginary line) and the second one is there but is formed differently than the first one and does not come down below the line. I have seen documents in which there are letter Ss formed in the same way where there the second looks different from the first and the first comes down below the line and the second does not.
Hi Maestra,

That could very well be then, as I'm noticing this particular sindaco is doing the very same thing with his double S's.