Campofelice di Fitalia vs. C. di Rocella

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Campofelice di Fitalia vs. C. di Rocella

Post by RussoTiesi »

My great-grandmother Anna Terranella (1891-1970) listed her birthplace on various documents simply as Campofelice.

It's my understanding that Campofelice di Fitalia was formerly called Fitalia, and Campofelice di Rocella was formerly known simply as Campofelice. Is that correct?

My hunch is that I should write to C. di Rocella when requesting various records for her, but I'd appreciate hearing from others who might have had to research ancestors from "Campofelice."

Thank you.
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Campofelice di Fitalia vs. C. di Rocella

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I may be entirely wrong, but based upon reading the Google translation of Italian wikipedia for the two towns -

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campofelice_di_Roccella

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campofelice_di_Fitalia

- I think you may have it backwards.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RussoTiesi »

Thanks for your post--those wiki articles do seem to support your conclusion. However, I just found these film notes on the Family Search site--and now I'm really confused!

Registri dello stato civile di Campofelice di Roccella (Palermo), 1820-1910: Records of births, marriage banns, marriages, and deaths, and documents enclosed with records, from the municipality of Campofelice di Roccella in the province of Palermo. Before 1921 Campofelice di Roccella was called Campofelice. Most registers include an index.

Registri dello stato civile di Campofelice di Fitalia (Palermo), 1848-1903: Births, marriages, deaths, banns; supplements to births, marriages, deaths, and miscellaneous documents from the civil registration office in Campofelice di Fitalia (formerly Fitalia), Palermo, Italy. Prior to 1848 the civil registry can be found with the civil registry of Mezzojuso, Palermo, Italy.
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, that seems to settle it, doesn't it? :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RussoTiesi »

Once again, Carmine, you are correct! My great-grandmother's marriage record, which I just found for the first time, specifies her birthplace as Campofelice di Fitalia.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Wait a minute, I was correct even though I was wrong??

My head hurts...
Carmine

rbuonafede

Post by rbuonafede »

Okay not too confuse things more but all (well almost all) of the documents I have found on my ancestors just list Campofelice as well however, my grandpa made mention of Campofelice di Rocella and I have gone back and forth on which one it truly is Fitalia or Rocella. But too confuse me even more, some records state Mezzojusso. Is is possible that it was listed because it was close or is there some connection there?
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RussoTiesi »

According to the link Carmine provided on C. di Fitalia, "Nel 1852 Campofelice divenne frazione del comune di Mezzojuso." (I don't speak Italian, but the translator says it means that Campofelice (di Fitalia) became a part of Mezzojuso. That would explain the alternate names.
ammusic77i

Post by ammusic77i »

My family is from Campofelice and by that i mean Campofelice di Fitalia.
You should visit there. Mezzojuso is a short drive away, and you'd

goi to get your hair done, buy groceries, etc.
Fitalia is no longer inhabited. It was the first settlement when the town was formed. It's walking distance to downtown campofelice, but it's stone houses in ruins now.
ammusic77i

Post by ammusic77i »

And yes, it could be that civil governments of mezzo and campo might be joined now.