Need help identifying ancestors home town

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
challman

Need help identifying ancestors home town

Post by challman »

Preview: Need help finding info about "Serra Parsona" Italy
I am looking for help locating the home town of my ancestors in Italy. We have several records listing their hometown, but they vary and we are not sure what is correct. Here is the information we have.

--From US petition for naturalization - home town listed as Serra Persona, Italy, race listed as So. Italian.
--From US Census records - home town listed as Serra Parsona, Italy
--From US immigration records - home town is listed as Salerno, Italy
--From US World War II draft records - home town is listed as Sella, Italy

We were told by relatives that the family originated from Northern Italy, but that doesn't seem to match what we find in family records. We were also told that the family came from a small town/village that was supposedly destroyed during one of the World Wars.

Here is their personal info if it will help:
--Giorgio Lenge Ricco - born March 25, 1879, possibly a shoemaker in Italy. He left Italy from Naples on the ship Roma and arrived in New York in Sept. 1904.
--Giorgio married Rosa - maiden name was either Paige or Pecci - born April 26, 1882
--They were married on September 9, 1899 - family documents lists place as Serra, Italy
--Rosa immigrated to the US in 1915.
--They had one child in Italy, Donata (maybe Donato) Ricco - born on November 1, 1903. She immigrated to the US in 1919.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Need help identifying ancestors home town

Post by PippoM »

From your hints, I'd say they were from Persano, village that is a part the Commune of Serre, province of Salerno. Of course, this is a guess, based on how sound the names of the places you mentioned.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
challman

Re: Need help identifying ancestors home town

Post by challman »

Thank you! I knew all the pieces had to fit together somehow.