Seeking Info on Struglia in Atina

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mendinfences

Seeking Info on Struglia in Atina

Post by mendinfences »

Ciao, Mi Amici.

I am trying to find history on ANGELO STRUGLIA. I do NOT know his wife's name. The Ship Manifest says it was Paolo Colomba but there is a DD or DO typed in and I do not know what that means. It does say spouse.*

My great-grandfather, Angelo, came over with his daughter, MARIA LORETA STRUGLIA in 1921. Those records say he was 51 (though on another location, it says he was 59). Arrrghhh. She was 18 y/o.

There were two boys who came over before them: PASQUALE, came over in 1923 at age 18 as did his brother Michael (listed as Michele) indicating the same age (which they weren't). They had a brother named Romeo (listed as Rocco on their manifests). I find no record of him coming over before them, though he clearly did. (Well, I suppose they could have made him up but I do have a great-uncle, Romeo, who lived in the location notated.)

Later, another sister came over, listed as Guiseppa. Says her father's name is Angelo and her mother's name is COLUMBIA DI POBLA. (*First listed as Paolo Colomba???)

There was another sister who became a nun. Don't know her name.

I am trying to find ANY records of these relatives in Atina but, especially, my great-grandmother. I have NOTHING on her and certainly nothing conclusive. I am making an assumption that she died since she did not come with them and the rest of the family did but ... who knows. :?

THANK YOU to any of you who have information or who might point me in the direction of other places to look.

Grazie mille.

~leendah
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Seeking Info on Struglia in Atina

Post by erudita74 »

mendinfences wrote:Ciao, Mi Amici.

I am trying to find history on ANGELO STRUGLIA. I do NOT know his wife's name. The Ship Manifest says it was Paolo Colomba but there is a DD or DO typed in and I do not know what that means. It does say spouse.*

My great-grandfather, Angelo, came over with his daughter, MARIA LORETA STRUGLIA in 1921. Those records say he was 51 (though on another location, it says he was 59). Arrrghhh. She was 18 y/o.

There were two boys who came over before them: PASQUALE, came over in 1923 at age 18 as did his brother Michael (listed as Michele) indicating the same age (which they weren't). They had a brother named Romeo (listed as Rocco on their manifests). I find no record of him coming over before them, though he clearly did. (Well, I suppose they could have made him up but I do have a great-uncle, Romeo, who lived in the location notated.)

Later, another sister came over, listed as Guiseppa. Says her father's name is Angelo and her mother's name is COLUMBIA DI POBLA. (*First listed as Paolo Colomba???)

There was another sister who became a nun. Don't know her name.

I am trying to find ANY records of these relatives in Atina but, especially, my great-grandmother. I have NOTHING on her and certainly nothing conclusive. I am making an assumption that she died since she did not come with them and the rest of the family did but ... who knows. :?

THANK YOU to any of you who have information or who might point me in the direction of other places to look.

Grazie mille.

~leendah
Hello and welcome to the forum-
There was a Giovanni Di Paolo who came through Ellis Island from Atina in 1920, so perhaps Di Paolo was the correct spelling of her surname. He went to Detroit though, so there is nothing to indicate that he was related to your ancestry. Di Paolo though is a current surname in the town.
Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Since the only records of Atina available are earlier records 1810-1865 on film at Family History Center
What I would do is send for the birth record of MARIA LORETA STRUGLIA born abt 1903 in Atina to verify her mothers maiden name

Comune di Atina
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Volsci
03042 Atina FR
ITALY

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti nascita di Maria Loreta Struglia

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Atina. Vorrei sapere di più di loro
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Maria Loreta Struglia
Data di nascita: circa 1903
Luogo di nascita: Atina
Nome e cognome del padre: Angelo Struglia
Potreste cercare l’atto di nascita di questa persona nei vostri registri dal 1900 fino al 1905?
Per favore, vi chiedo di spedirmi una delle fotocopie informazioni familiari su atti di nascita di Maria Loreta Struglia
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Then I would try for Angelo Struglia military record from the Archivio di Stato di FROSINONE and email them that will give you his parents names and the date of birth
E-mail: as-fr@beniculturali.it

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI FROSINONE
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Angelo Struglia classe di nascita 1868-1872

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito di leva di:Angelo Struglia nato a Atina il 1868-1872
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME EMAIL ADDRESS

Romeo Struglia came into Boston in 1916

CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Romeo Struglia, "United States Social Security Death Index"

Given Name: Romeo
Middle Name:
Surname: Struglia
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 8 April 1899
Social Security Number: 163-01-3310
State: Pennsylvania
Last Place of Residence:
Previous Residence Postal Code:
Event Date: 19 December 1989

Sending for the social security application for Romeo could also give you his mother's maiden name-

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

Erudita
mendinfences

Post by mendinfences »

Grazie Mille!

I had been thinking of marriage records and such but, you are correct, that it might be easier to go about it with birth records.

I am actually going to be IN Atina in September. Do you think it is easier to get information in person or should I just go ahead with the letter option?

Anche ... grazie!

~leendah
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

mendinfences wrote:Grazie Mille!

I had been thinking of marriage records and such but, you are correct, that it might be easier to go about it with birth records.

I am actually going to be IN Atina in September. Do you think it is easier to get information in person or should I just go ahead with the letter option?

Anche ... grazie!

~leendah

My advice is to try to gather as much info as you can before arriving in the town. The books with the records are extremely old and may not be well organized. Some towns are reluctant to have them viewed because they fear legal problems. A clerk there may promise to make a copy of a record once found, but may not be able to do so on the spot and may ask you to return another day for the copy. If you are able to return, you may find that the copy was never made. I tell you these things because these happened to a cousin of my husband in their grandparents' ancestral town. Luckily she and I had already researched the towns' records which were on microfilm. This may not be the case in all towns, but you just never know.

Erudita
mendinfences

Post by mendinfences »

Thanks, Erudita. That fits better with my personality, anyway. LOL
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

mendinfences wrote:Thanks, Erudita. That fits better with my personality, anyway. LOL

You're welcome. Here are two email addresses, in case you want to try these before mailing off a letter to the town.

anagrafe@comune.atina.fr.it

statocivile@comune.atina.fr.it

These are taken from the current website for the town. Here is a mailing address for the Ufficio Anagrafe or Stato Civile which appears on this website, which is different from the one given to you by Marty-

http://www.comune.atina.fr.it/index.php ... id_doc=462

Ufficio Anagrafe/Stato Civile
Piazza Saturno, 1
Atina, Frosinone, 03042
Lazio, Italia

Erudita
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to the town office about 10am, (they close to the public at 11am). Giuseppina is very nice but doesn't speak English. The records are upstairs in the boss's office and he doesn't usually make the records available for viewing. Written requests and only if you know the date. They do have a Register of the Population and it is in this book that Giuseppina will look for the family. The priest doesn't permit searches either, although he will look things up if you have dates.
Have a great trip.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.