City in Messina Province, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

City in Messina Province, Sicily

Post by 3sunshine »

I am not sure if this is just a translation problem or butcher job on a spelling, or this is a town that no longer exists or was incorporated into another town. The best that I can make of the attached US WWI draft registration card as the place of birth as "Alesco Priore?" Messina, Italy (Sicily). The Elli s Island Ship manifest for the person in question lists his place of birth and last residence both as Roccalumera

Thanks!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: City in Messina Province, Sicily

Post by liviomoreno »

The image is too small
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Hopefully this link will work better...

http://postimg.org/image/cbhmzxxud/
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Maybe Oliva, Pirrera ?!

In the territory of San Pier Niceto also rise the villages of Oliva (4,28 km), Pirrera (2,12 km), San Pier Marina (5,04 km), Serro (4,48 km), Zifronte (2,71 km).
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Thank you very much! I will check it out.

Shelley Di Salvo
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Looks like he was born in Ali'Terme,province Messina birth date is a couple days off but that's the norm for US records
Birth of Nunziato Nerelli
INDEX#56
1984 Aug 22nd in the town of Ali' in a house in contrada Grotte birth of Nunziato Nerelli son of Giulio Nerelli age 23 farmer and Agata Bonarrigo
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215324

Marriage of Giulio Nerelli and Agata Bonarrigo
INDEX#19
1892 Dec 8th in the town of Ali appeared Giulio Nerelli age 23 born in Messina and resides in Ali parents unknown (ignoto) married Agata Bonarrigo age 21 born and residing in Ali daughter of Mariano Bonarrigo and Nararena Corleone

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215318
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Thanks Marty! I have spent hours and days on Familysearch, flipping through pages upon pages of Messina records, but was concentrating mostly on Pagliara and Roccalumera. This is almost definitely the Nunziato I was looking for, because he had a daughter named Agatha, and a daughter named Julia.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

3sunshine wrote:Thanks Marty! I have spent hours and days on Familysearch, flipping through pages upon pages of Messina records, but was concentrating mostly on Pagliara and Roccalumera. This is almost definitely the Nunziato I was looking for, because he had a daughter named Agatha, and a daughter named Julia.
INDEX#1058
1870 Aug 21st in the commune of Messina birth record of Guilio Nerelli he was abandoned left at the wheel
PG LINK TO RECORD

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n598676153

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Marty, you definitely are a Maestro! Thanks again, I knew about foundlings but never heard about the wheels, reading up on it now.

http://www.conigliofamily.com/Foundlings.htm
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great link to the wheel very interesting reading isn't it

If you wondering how I found the records I went to the website Italia.indettaglio.it and looked up the surname Nerelli in the region of Sicily and it came up
Nerelli Trecastagni Catania
Nerelli Nizza di Sicilia Messina
Nerelli Alì Terme Messina

PG LINK
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Marty

Marty
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Thanks - interesting site. Going to run a few more names through the search engine for Sicily and Abruzzo that have been giving me some headaches!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

3sunshine wrote:Thanks - interesting site. Going to run a few more names through the search engine for Sicily and Abruzzo that have been giving me some headaches!
Whats the names and dates?

Marty

Marty
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

The info you found above was actually for a friend's family who I have been helping to research her family roots because there wasn't much that was known beyond the US records until I got curious and did some digging. At the very top of my list is my great great grandfather Emidio Ciccone; who, according to his KY death record, was born 1 Oct 1868. According to his marriage bann and marriage record in Castellamare Adriatico (which doesn't exist anymore), he was born in San Egidio Alla Vibrata, Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy to father Vincenzo Ciccone and mother Luisa/Elisa Galiffa. I haven't been able to find his birth record or their marriage record or confirm anything further up this family line. The birth records and marriage records for this town in 1868 +/- two yrs are not available online at FamilySearch or via the microfilm loan program, and I checked microfilm through the loan program at the local LDS library for a few years preceding 1868 to see if I could find marriage records or anything at all for his parents, without any luck. I haven't really taken another crack at them for almost 2 years, so maybe there are new resources available that I am not aware of. My aunt actually passed through Sant'Egidio Alla Vibrata this last summer on her way to Pescara, but since it was a Sunday and the town was virtually closed up for a Soccer festival, there was really no one she could talk to about the Ciccone or Galiffa families.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Question what year was he married in Castellamare Adriatico?
Can you post the link to the marriage record

Marty

Marty
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

I don't think that I obtained either the Bann or the Marriage Act online, I believe I ordered the microfilm from the LDS Library/Family History Center. The attached marriage bann document is of very poor quality, but the date of the record is 6 Feb 1899, it lists him as 30 years old, and his surname is spelled Cicconi (misspelled above as Ciccone) for all of the Italian records that I have come across thus far - it's Ciccone on all his US records). I have his marriage date listed as 16 Apr 1899, but for some reason I no longer seem to have the Marriage Act or I may have lost some files.
Attachments
CicconiCiccarelliBann1899.jpg
CicconiCiccarelliBann1899.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 4096 times