Petina, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mcarleo1

Petina, Italy

Post by mcarleo1 »

I have found Petina on the map but is there anyway to get more infornation about lt.My father left this town with his parents whem he was about 5 or 6.
Thank You
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Petina, Italy

Post by wldspirit »

http://www.albergomarino.com/link/page_ ... glese.html

The above site references Petina....includes pictures......suanj is our resident historian and could possibly provide you with more detail........in the meantime....have you tried the location database here at this site.....it sometimes includes official sites to locations.......
wldspirit
mcarleo1

Post by mcarleo1 »

Thank You . I tried "Locations" but didn't come up with anything.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is the website for Petina.........hopefully Suanj can provide you with more info on Petina......

http://www.comune.petina.sa.it/

wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:Here is the website for Petina.........hopefully Suanj can provide you with more info on Petina......

http://www.comune.petina.sa.it/

wldspirit
Hi, not are many info available, for all request this address
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Umberto I
84020 Petina (SA)
Italia

old pictures
Petina http://www.anticagalleria.it/Petina2-b1.jpg
another http://www.anticagalleria.it/Petina-b1.jpg
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mcarleo1

Post by mcarleo1 »

Thank you for your help.
glee

Post by glee »

mcarleo1 wrote:I have found Petina on the map but is there anyway to get more infornation about lt.My father left this town with his parents whem he was about 5 or 6.
Thank You
glee

Post by glee »

I have access to the Petina Files which go back to the early 1800's. They are in my possession which I got from a person doing Genealogy at the Salt Lake City library. They have been translated into English by an Italian researcher. If you would like me to look up a name, I would be glad to do so. They are mostly birth records but they have the mother and father and their ages.
mcornellcarleo

Post by mcornellcarleo »

glee wrote:I have access to the Petina Files which go back to the early 1800's. They are in my possession which I got from a person doing Genealogy at the Salt Lake City library. They have been translated into English by an Italian researcher. If you would like me to look up a name, I would be glad to do so. They are mostly birth records but they have the mother and father and their ages.
Saw your posting in reference to Petina. I have been able to research my husband's family, Carleo, in Petina, back to the early 1800's. What is missing is his grandfather, Leonardo Carleo born to Leonardo and Gelsomina Russo Carleo in May 1890(?). All of the members of the family have been found in the birth records except for Leonardo. I was able to find Gelsomina Russo and son Leonardo Carleo on a ship to America in 1902. Would it be possible that he would be located in the files you have? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks
glee

Post by glee »

I looked up this name, but no birth date matched this name. How did you find his name and birth date? I found a family group sheet for Leonardo Carleo and Gelsomina Russo and they had seven children but I didn't see Leonardo's name as one of them. Let me know what I can do for you. I have Leonardo's father is Saverio Carleo born 1828 in Petina married to Nicolina D'Antonio born in 1829 in Petina. Is this the same family?
mcornellcarleo

Post by mcornellcarleo »

Yes, it is the same family. The children I have are Brigida, Maria Caterina, Vincenzo, Pasquale , Anna and Maria Giuseppa.
Leonardo Carleo who came to this country with his mother Gelsomina Luiga Russo Carleo in 1902 is my husband's grandfather. The birthdate I have is from the Social Security Death Index. Note: Leonardo used Carlo on many of his documents, but after WWII all of the children kept Carleo, while Grandpa and Grandma remained Carlo.
Gelsomina Russo Carleo is buried in Pueblo, Colorado at Roselawn Cemetery. She died in 1928.
Saverio and Nicolina had another son, Pasquale.
Leonardo Sr. died sometime after 1890. Gelsomina is listed as a widow on one of her daughter's marriage certificate. She is listed as a widow on the ships' records. Note: The ship that Gelsomina Russo and her son Leonardo Carleo came over on was the Trojan Prince in 1902. ellisisland.org
Gelsomina listed her brother Raffaelle Russo in Pueblo, Colorado as her final destination. In fact, she and Leonardo were detained at Ellis Island until the train tickets arrived from her brother.

One final note: it seems that within the fairly immediate family in Petina, there were a lot of Carleo cousins with the same names. It took a little bit of work to match each one to the right parents. Having a little bit of knowledge of the family names helped a little. Could it be possible that Leonardo,Jr. has been misplaced with another family?

Many thanks, Mary
glee

Post by glee »

I went to the Family History Library and looked at the original birth certificates in Italian in the year 1890. There were 54 births and none were Leonardo Carleo. I lookedthe year after in 1991 but nothing. I then looked in the year 1889 and the volume said, "Non Consultabile." Which means that it was unreadable I think. There was nothing but a front cover. Then I looked up Leonardo's ship manefest and it said that they arrived Dec. 16, 1901. If you subtract his age, 12 from 1901 you get 1889. I think that is why you cannot find his birth certificate. My grandfather, Pietro Salerno, was born in 1888 in Petina and I looked up his death certificate and they were off a year also. They said he was born in 1889. I am going to call an Italian researcher Monday and ask her about church records. These birth certificates are all Civil Registration that I have been looking at and not church records. Maybe there is another way to find his birth certificate. I will let you know. But my hunch is he was really born in 1889. I will let you know what I find out Monday. G.Lee
mcornellcarleo

Post by mcornellcarleo »

First, let me say a heartfelt thank you for your efforts that go "above and beyond" anything I expected.
Secondly, let me apologize for relying on my memory for dates because it is obviously not up to it. I went back and checked my notes and found Leonardo Carleo's birthdate. According to SSDI, he was born 22 May 1888. I think when I found the ships record from the Trojan Prince, I calculated his age at 13 (almost 14 by Dec.1901) and was looking in a +2/-2 age range. Somehow , the 1890 got stuck in my head.
As for the Trojan Prince error, let's just call that a memory re-invention. In other words, don't trust me with dates.
I hope the actual dates help a bit more than those of a forgetful mind.
Thanks again. Mary
glee

Post by glee »

I also checked the 1888 birth records because that is when my grandfather was born and I wanted to see his record again. The library is only 15 min. away and I go there to do other lines anyway so it is easy to look up names for you. Anyway, he (Leonardo) is not in the 1888 birth record either. I called this Italian researcher to ask about church records, but she is sick today. Have you written to the Parish in Petina to try and get his birth record from them since these records that are on microfilem are all civil registration? I have that address somewhere. Did you get the children's names? I couldn't tell if that got to you or not. Let me know.
mcornellcarleo

Post by mcornellcarleo »

glee wrote:I also checked the 1888 birth records because that is when my grandfather was born and I wanted to see his record again. The library is only 15 min. away and I go there to do other lines anyway so it is easy to look up names for you. Anyway, he (Leonardo) is not in the 1888 birth record either. I called this Italian researcher to ask about church records, but she is sick today. Have you written to the Parish in Petina to try and get his birth record from them since these records that are on microfilem are all civil registration? I have that address somewhere. Did you get the children's names? I couldn't tell if that got to you or not. Let me know.
Dear G Lee Let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I really do not know what happened. I checked back several times to see if you had responded to the Feb. 24 post, but there was never anything there. Today after I saw your posting, just to make sure that I wasn't going crazy, I went and checked my e-mail for any alerts that I had missed. There were none there. So I do not know what is going on with the posts. I am glad I decided to check today or else I still would have never known that you had responded.
I did not receive anything. Did you send the children's names or were you asking if I had them? If it is easier, my e-mail address is carleo4@hotmail.com if you would rather respond to it than to the site. I do not have the address in Petina for the Parish. I have a friend who is going to Italy next month on vacation and is going to try and stop in Petina. Is there anything that he can do for you, if time allows? Mary