Provincias di Ruvo del Monte

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Provincias di Ruvo del Monte

Post by KevinO »

Hello,

With the help of many others I have found quite a few additional pieces of information to added to my collection of family history. The ancestors are from the Comune di Ruvo del Monte. However there are some records that show Provincia di Basilicata and Provincia di Potenza--are these two different Provincias or did Provincia di Basilicata become Provincia di Potenza?

Thank you

Kevin
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Provincias di Ruvo del Monte

Post by adelfio »

Ruvo del Monte is a town in the province of Potenza, in the region of Basilicata

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

KevinO wrote:Hello,

With the help of many others I have found quite a few additional pieces of information to added to my collection of family history. The ancestors are from the Comune di Ruvo del Monte. However there are some records that show Provincia di Basilicata and Provincia di Potenza--are these two different Provincias or did Provincia di Basilicata become Provincia di Potenza?

Thank you

Kevin

Originally Basilicata was a province which, I believe, was established as such in 1806. Potenza and Matera, at that time, were two of the districts within that province. My early civil records read "distretto di Matera, Provincia di Basilicata." I know that Matera became a province in 1927, but I'm not sure what year Potenza became a province and what year Basilicata began to be referred to as a region instead of a province.

Erudita
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KevinO »

Thank you! This makes sense that Basilicata is (now) the region; I have been looking at many records from mid to late 1800s and it shows Provincia di Basilicata. I then started looking at records from the early 1900s and it showed Provincia di Potenza. I have many more records to look through and see if I can I can pinpoint what year Basilicata became the region and Potenza listed as the Provincia.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is an interesing bit of information...
Until 2 january 1927 [Province of] Potenza included also all the communes of the province of Matera... According to an administrative reform from 1 Jan 2014, the Province is scheduled for suppression and fusion with the Province of Matera.
From this site:
http://www.italyworldclub.com/basilicata/potenza/

T.