Petraglia\'s from Piaggene and Sacco

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
RFG

Post by RFG »

My Grandmothers\'s Mother came to the US with my Grandmother. My Grandmother was from Piaggene. I am trying to find out if My Great Grandmother was from that same town. When I looked the name Petraglia up on the Passenger Lists. Petraglia\'s were from either Piaggene or Sacco. Could you tell me were Sacco is?
R. FEROLA
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are two Sacco in Italy. One is located in the ZLombardia region in the far north and the other is in the Campania region in the South of Italy...can you tell me if you know the province if not then get back to me and we will trace the surname. Peter
RFG

Post by RFG »

Peter,
<BR>The Province is Salerno, Naples. I am trying to find out my GGmother\'s
<BR>maiden name.
R. FEROLA
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Italian women do not lose their single name and her maiden name would appear in the ellis island rrecords as if she were single person. If you wish to see the names in Sacco go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname in the first line and Sacco in the third line and then click cerca for the listing. The other town you mentiuoned is not correctly spelled and come out as non existent. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The town name is Piaggine. Peter
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Petraglia is a very common name in Piaggine and a Petraglia from Sacco sure has his origins in Piaggine. Sacco and Piaggine are located about 8 km from each other.
<BR>
<BR>Maybe if you can give some more information like age, first name , years or other surnames I can give you some help. My family (TARDIO) is from Piaggine too, I go there at least once a year to meet my family and friends and know the surnames and villages of the Cilento area very good.
<BR>
<BR>Have you already checked the website of <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://piaggine.net" TARGET="_blank">Piaggine</A><!-- BBCode End -->
Tandem fit surculus arbor
RFG

Post by RFG »

I have checked the website, unfortunatley I do not read Italian and
<BR>understand very little. My materal GG mother was Angelina Petraglia and Grandmother was Maria-Stella Butrico, she married Guiseppi Butrico. I found the telephone book on the website it was amazing how many of the both names there are. When reading the name it felt
<BR>like they were frozen in time. All the first names are the same as my mother\'s brothers, nephews and cousins. Now in my childrens genaration none of the kids have those first names. I meant to ask you another question, my Mother\'s friends called themselves \"Gaenta\"
<BR>(I am spelling it by the sound) maybe you can shed some light on that. I am very curious about that. Please reply
<BR>
<BR>
R. FEROLA
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Butrico is also a common name in Piaggine. When did Maria-Stella and Giuseppe lived in Piaggine. I have some sources at home (I am at work now) which I can check but I need a time period.
<BR>
<BR>I have never heard of a surname near Piaggine what sounds like \"gaenta\", I am sorry.
<BR>
<BR>
Tandem fit surculus arbor
RFG

Post by RFG »

Peter,
<BR>I believe they left there in the late 1890\'s my grandfather was a plasterer when came to NYC. He made a very good living(200.00 per week) so my grandmother along with with her mother went back and forth. Also, there are Butrico\' in Pittsburgh, Pa. and South Plainfield, N.J. I think they were my grandfather\'s brothers. I was born in 1950
<BR>and I am the baby of the family. My parents passed away the only one of the Butrico\'s that are left of the children is my mother\'s older sister who is in her nineties. Her daughter that lives with her was in her early twenties when I was born. This word \"GAENAD\" it is the wrong spelling. They use that word like if you were a gang or a cult. Someone from this board asked me about it also. Please shed a little more light on this. My husband travels back and forth to Italy on business I have had so many opportunities to visit. I want to go with my brother. Tell me when you have this party?
R. FEROLA
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did not respond to you Edmondo diod but no matter. Just what do you mean by \"party\" ???Peter