Santa Margherita vs Lucca

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
NickiMacaroni

Santa Margherita vs Lucca

Post by NickiMacaroni »

Hi! I know I probably sound stupid for asking this, but I am really confused about Italian geography!
I am trying to trace my family tree. I know from my grandmother that her family came from Lucca, Italy. I was able to find their immigration records that listed them as living in "Santa Margherita, Lucca, Italy." However, when I looked up Santa Margherita online, it shows it as being an entirely different town from Lucca! The only Santa Margherita I can find is referred to as "Santa Margherita Ligure."

My question is, where should I be looking for my family roots? In Lucca? In Santa Margherita? Is it all the same?

Also, how large are these towns? Would someone with the same last name be possibly related? For instance, my 2nd great grandmother's last name was Luporini or Luporino. Would someone in Lucca or Santa Margherita with that last name possibly be related to her?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

- Nicki :oops:
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Santa Margherita vs Lucca

Post by erudita74 »

There is a Santa Margherita which is a frazione or hamlet of the town of Capannori in Lucca Province. There are records online here, which you might try-

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043811

Erudita