Palermo, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Palermo, Sicily

Post by FDooks »

Hello,

I ordered some microfilm from the fhc and i should be able to view it within 2 weeks...

I am getting marriage, birth, death, and baptism/communion records for various years (1893, 1895, 1887, few others)

If anybody has any information you'd like to me check into, please let me know. I'm willing to help out.

Just a FYI.

-Frank-
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Palermo, Sicily

Post by Nunsiata »

Would that be the city of Palermo or the province? I am looking for marriage records for Mezzoiuso around 1887 - 1889. I just haven't gotten over to my local FHC because they're closed on my day off!
If it's the province, and you don't mind, here is the information I'm looking for:

Pietra Viscardi to Innocenti (or Innocenzo) Valenti circa 1887 to 1889
I would like to know the parents names and if both families were from Mezzoiuso. Also, the exact date.

Thank you so much!

N
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Sure, no problem. I hope to receive that phonecall that the film arrived within this next week. I will definately look into that information for you and hopefully they will have what we both are looking for.

I will update you as soon and I get to the FHC and view the films.

(I think the City itself ... it just said Palermo records and the various dates ... possibly both?)

Thanks.
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Nunsiata wrote:Would that be the city of Palermo or the province? I am looking for marriage records for Mezzoiuso around 1887 - 1889. I just haven't gotten over to my local FHC because they're closed on my day off!
If it's the province, and you don't mind, here is the information I'm looking for:

I would like to know the parents names and if both families were from Mezzoiuso. Also, the exact date.

Thank you so much!

N
Hello,
you can also make a request to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza Umberto I
90030 Mezzojuso (PA)
Italy

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Thank you FDooks, but beware - there are an awful lot of Valentis in them there hills! But if you're up to the challenge - many thanks! I await your response.

To ricbru - do I have to write to them in Italian? Is there a fee? I will be very excited if this works because Mezzoiuso was quite rural back then and I wonder about the record-keeping capabilities. Thanks for your help!

N
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Hi Frank,
I would expect the film you ordered is for the city of Palermo. Most microfilmed records are city or town.
That said, I am looking for the marriage of a g-grandfather, Giacomo Sabella to Trinchia Francaviglia. She died prior to 1900. The spelling of her name may be off as I found this information on a probate record.
Also looking for his 2nd marriage to Vincenza Parrina. They had a child by 1903 so marriage would be approximately 1902.

Just let me know if you find any Sabella records.

I have been searching community by community and Palermo was next on my list.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Nunsiata wrote:Thank you FDooks, but beware - there are an awful lot of Valentis in them there hills! But if you're up to the challenge - many thanks! I await your response.

To ricbru - do I have to write to them in Italian? Is there a fee? I will be very excited if this works because Mezzoiuso was quite rural back then and I wonder about the record-keeping capabilities. Thanks for your help!

N
Hello, there is not fee. Make a specific request, put in you envelope another envelope for the answer.
or you can contact "Archivio di Stato di Palermo"
I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Many thanks for the advice. I will give it a try!

N
MMaddi

Post by MMaddi »

Nunsiata wrote:Would that be the city of Palermo or the province? I am looking for marriage records for Mezzoiuso around 1887 - 1889. I just haven't gotten over to my local FHC because they're closed on my day off!

Thank you so much!

N
Are you still trying to locate the marriage record from Mezzojuso you refer to above? If so, I can probably find that for you. Both my paternal grandparents were born in Mezzojuso and I have been researching in the microfilm of the Mezzojuso records for 5 years now.

I have the records for 1867-1905 births, marriages and deaths on permanent loan at my local Family History Center. The next time I will be there will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll look for the Valenti-Viscardi marriage record then. Warning - the microfilm is not complete, there are gaps. I have not been able to find my grandmother's birth record or the birth records of my grandfather's brother and sister because of this.

By the way, I have Viscardi ancestors from Mezzojuso, so maybe we are distant cousins. My great-grandmother was Rosalia Cangialosi, born in Mezzojuso about 1847. Her maternal grandmother was Orsola Viscardi, born in Mezzojuso about 1797.

Mike Maddi
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Hi Mike. Sorry to take so long to reply. I don't get to visit the forum as often as I used to!
Anything you can find on the records would be appreciated. My great-grandparents came to the US in the mid-1890s under circumstances that were never discussed. All of their children are now dead - the last of whom, my grandmother, just this past May at age 97. It was my project for her to find our Italian roots - but I will continue for me.
We could, perhaps, be related as I don't know if my G-Grandparent's had siblings or what their parents' names were. I really don't know much at all or where to start in Sicily. There is literally no record of their lives there.
I wish I had the time to visit my local FHC, and do my own research, but it is only open one day a week - Wednesday - and I have a full-time job.
Seriously, Mike - thank you for the offer. I know it's a long shot but if you can share anything with me I would be eternally grateful.

ND
MMaddi

Post by MMaddi »

Nunsiata,

I was at the Family History Center yesterday and looked at the microfilm for records of 1876-1905. I checked for the marriage records from 1885-1891, even though you said your ancestors' marriage was in the 1887-1889 period.

The good news is that there didn't seem to be any missing marriage records for that 1885-1891 period. The bad news is that I didn't find any marriages between a Valenti and a Viscardi. The closest I came to a Valenti with the given name Innocenzo was a Vincenzo Valenti. But he married a woman with the surname Militello, not Viscardi.

I'll be going to the Family History Center again next week. If you think it may help, I'll look for marriages before 1885 and after 1891.

By the way, I see that you live in NJ. Although I've lived in Texas since 1982, I grew up in NJ. I lived in Jersey City and my family moved to Edison in Middlesex County when I was 12.

Mike
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Hello~If you still have the micro film I'm looking for a Rinella-D'Anna connection in Trabia and Palermo. My grandfather was adopted by a Rinella after marrying my great grandmother who was originally married to a D'Anna. I don't have a real time frame on that info, possibly the mid 1850's. Thank you
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
flavali44

Post by flavali44 »

Just to say - for me Palermo is the most beautifull town!
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

MMaddi wrote:Nunsiata,

I was at the Family History Center yesterday and looked at the microfilm for records of 1876-1905. I checked for the marriage records from 1885-1891, even though you said your ancestors' marriage was in the 1887-1889 period.

The good news is that there didn't seem to be any missing marriage records for that 1885-1891 period. The bad news is that I didn't find any marriages between a Valenti and a Viscardi. The closest I came to a Valenti with the given name Innocenzo was a Vincenzo Valenti. But he married a woman with the surname Militello, not Viscardi.

I'll be going to the Family History Center again next week. If you think it may help, I'll look for marriages before 1885 and after 1891.

By the way, I see that you live in NJ. Although I've lived in Texas since 1982, I grew up in NJ. I lived in Jersey City and my family moved to Edison in Middlesex County when I was 12.

Mike
Hi, Mike:

I am new to this forum and not too handy with Italian research, but I believe my maternal grandmother Caterina Ribando was born in Mezzoiuso or Mezzojuso on October 14, 1887/8 to Maria Buccola and Vittoriano Ribando. They immigrated to NYC 1890/1.

I just learned Maria Buccola's (b. August 10, 1869) parents' names might be Antonio Buccola and Madaline Viscardi; also Vittoriano Ribando (b. Jan 6, 1862?) might be the son of Pietro Ribando and Francis Battaglia.

Can you steer me in a direction? By the way, I see you are in Pasadena. I live in Clear Lake and also moved to Texas in the early 80s after living in Princeton, NJ, and Flushing, NY. My brother lives in Edison.

Thanks,
Robin Mina