Milano, Lombardy 1745

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
adelebastick

Milano, Lombardy 1745

Post by adelebastick »

There is a notation on Geni of Joseph Anthonie (Guiseppe)Vioroni, born 1745 in Milan, who at some point must have emigrated ending up in Cape Town, South Africa. Died 1819 in Cape Town. I don't know his parents names nor if he came with them or if he came on his own.
Trying to locate the birth town/village to try and obtain birth records in Milan. The spelling of Vioroni appears to change over ensuing generations to Veroni, Verony, Veronie.
How do we find this? Your opening comments refer to mass emigration from 1876, but he must have arrived here long before that. He had a son born in Cape Town in 1784, we cannot confirm if the mother was Magdalena Van Ellewee or Johanna Adriana (Grimm) South African records seem to be very scarce if any.
He is my husbands 6x Grandfather looking at the family tree.
Any guidance on finding out the following would be most appreciated.
1. How do I find his birth town/village in Milan in 1745?
2. How would he and his family have arrived in South Africa. Possible routes and methods for that time period.
I realise names may not appear on ships manifests especially if working class etc.
3.Is there any other way to find this information as it does not appear yet online other than Geni where there is a full family tree being built but no source for birth place, immigration to South Africa.
Thank you so much.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Milano, Lombardy 1745

Post by suanj »

The surname spelling could be VERONESI???
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelebastick

Re: Milano, Lombardy 1745

Post by adelebastick »

Thank you Suanj
I will try this spelling as well.
Adele