Help finding Emmanuel Bellomo

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Help finding Emmanuel Bellomo

Post by bvbellomo » 07 Dec 2017, 00:59

The death record in Polizzi of my 5th great grandfather says he was born in Caltanissetta. I cannot find him in Caltanissetta's baptisms, nor San Cataldo's, nor can I find his parents, Vincenzo and Carmela Ferrara on any of the baptisms. He is not on Polizzi's 1811 Reveli, nor Caltanissetta's, nor Petralia Sottana or Petralia Soprana. He had 3 sons, at least 1 would probably be old enough in 1811 for the Reveli, but they aren't listed either.

I know those without taxable possessions would be left off the 1811 Reveli, but the Bellomo's in Caltanissetta are relatively wealthy land owners, as are the families in Polizzi who married the Bellomo's. His death record and other records are even clear about which quarter of the city he lived in, so I don't think I need to look in another town. I have his grandson's 1819 baptism, which is in Polizzi. I don't think he was born in Polizzi, as he is the oldest "Bellomo" in Polizzi, the next oldest are all his children, and there weren't any Bellomo's in the Polizzi 1747 Reveli.

There is a Vincenzo in Caltanissetta the right age to be his father, but he is married to a Vincenza Costa, who was alive both long before and after Emmanuel was born. I know sometimes mother's are incorrect on death certificates, but again, I'd expect to see Emmanuel on either the Polizzi or Caltanissetta Reveli and baptisms.

"Emmanuel" is a relatively unusual name, and I haven't seen any "Emmanuel Bellomo" except his grandsons and their grandson's. It is possible he was a 3rd son or later, but if he was from Caltanissetta, I'd think more likely than not there would be another "Emmanuel" Bellomo years earlier but there is not.

I suppose it is possible he was born a bastard and legitimized after being baptized. I've never seen this except when the natural parents later married, and it doesn't explain his missing Reveli unless he was legitimized after the Reveli, unlikely given he'd be married into a more prominent Polzzi family and a maestro in a trade years ealier. I'd love to hear any better explanations or suggestions on where to look next.