Looking for Rivara Canavese?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
uli2000

Looking for Rivara Canavese?

Post by uli2000 »

Im doing research on my great great grandparents. They came to the US in 1911 (gggrandfather) and 1912 (gggrandmother) and married in 1913. Both list their place of birth on documents when they came to the US as Rivara Canavese. I am attempting to get records but we are having trouble determining where exactly what province Rivara Canavese is/is in. I know it's in the Torino metropolitain area, but there are no provinces called Rivera Canavese. There is a Rivara, Rivarolo Canavese, Forno Canavese (but used to have Rivara in the name until 1927?) and several others that are similar. Is there anyone who may have heard of Rivara Canavese and know what it is known as now?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Rivara Canavese?

Post by Tessa78 »

Possibly ...?

Rivarolo Canavese -- province Torino -- region Piedmont

There is also a Rivara, which is a frazione (hamlet) of the Comune of Rivara, in Province of Torino
Rivara, comune of Rivara, Torino, Piedmont

Here is a link to the history of the Comune of Rivara. You can use a page translator.
https://www.comune.rivara.to.it/it-it/v ... une/storia
...To trace a bit of history of Rivara it is necessary to refer to the very remote and flourishing times of the Ligurian and Celtic Knappe and its illustrious district, which later inherited from the ancient Canava, it was like a seed and the origin of the present Canavese.

T.

uli2000

Re: Looking for Rivara Canavese?

Post by uli2000 »

I went with my gut and checked in Rivara. It turned out to be the correct commune, and I was able to find my great great grandfather's birth record. From what I understand, Canavese is a historical name for the area.