Churches and Cemeteries in Gera Lario, Como

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
vocalistuk

Churches and Cemeteries in Gera Lario, Como

Post by vocalistuk »

Hi,
I am researching my Italian ancestors who came from various regions, but directly from Gera Lario, Como. My gr grandfather died in the UK but came from Gera and I have found the death records for my gr gr grandparents Antonio Bacciarelli and Maora (Maria) Marvoriglia Dell'Oro which include the addresses they lived in but not where they may have been buried.

My research shows there are 2 churches in Gera, Chiesa di San Vincenzo which from various google searches I can see appears to have a cemetery/graveyard attached and Chiesa di Nostra Signora di Fatima which appears to be closer to town and so unable to see a churchyard. As the latter seems to have been favoured by Fisherman, I suspect my gr gr grandparents probably attended the church as Antonio was a fisherman but where would he have been buried?

Would he and other family members be buried at sea and a memorial placed somewhere instead as I read somewhere that there were several placed on houses and in the walls around the harbour? Is this correct?

Does anyone on the forum live in Gera or close enough to it to find out where they are buried? or who can point me in the right direction please?

Thank you!
Tracey

PS - I have added the churches to the FindAGrave site so people can add their memorials & upload photos to help others to find them.