Questions about Travel to Italy (Naples)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Questions about Travel to Italy (Naples)

Post by poliquie »

I am looking at traveling to Italy possibly in May. I would fly into Rome, see some of the sights, then head to Naples (Torre Del Greco) to visit my family' area.... I am looking to do this solo, as it will mainly be a genealogy trip. For those that live in Italy, is it safe for an American woman traveling solo in those areas? Aside from the normal, ie keeping track of your purse/passport, are there any other safety issues/recommendations?

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Questions about Travel to Italy (Naples)

Post by PippoM »

Well, I wouldn't have my words denied by facts, but Italy is not so dangerous. Of course, you'll have to be careful not to go round alone at night in peripheral areas; choose an "official" hotel/B&B for your nights; don't follow people who seem to be friendly alone in lonely places, watch out when you're travelling on crowded means of transport.

If you have any more specific question, I send you my email address by PM
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

NickAndreola
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NickAndreola »

Its been about 10 years since our last trip and of course my wife was travelling with a 6' tall ugly man....but we encountered few safety issues. Excellent English was spoken almost universally and most folks were kind and friendly. As is true around the world, we felt MUCH safer in the smaller towns. Rome & Milan required having the 'radar' turned up to high frequency especially around some places like the train stations. Don't linger, wander with a dazed look etc.... around those places. Even if you're not sure what you're doing/where you need to go, move with authority. Try to eavesdrop on a transaction or two before you purchase your train ticket --listen for how many Euros...We had a green jacket wearing Trenitalia guy at the Rome terminal try to jack the price up on us by about 15 Euros each because he thought he could pull a fast one on some tourists--my wife made a pretty intense scene and I'm sure he regretted it immediately! This was for the train from Rome to the airport.

Be SURE to validate your train ticket every time. It is not worth the fine, 200+ Euros then, and it can be terribly uncomfortable if you're caught. We only witnessed this one time and it turned into quite a thing. The conductor came around to everybody and apologized afterward. Every so often some folks will get on the train, go up & down the aisles playing music etc and then asking for 'payment' for their offerings..(usually cute little kids ask for the money)...best advice is to stare out the window, make no eye contact and ignore the whole proceeding as if you've seen it a million times.

Couple of other things.....

In Italy, the 'personal bubble' is MUCH smaller than I am used to. The person behind you in line, breathing on your neck, is not necessarily a pick pocket or groper---that's just how close people stand.

If you (like me) are not an expresso drinker, you can order a Cafe Americano at 'finer' coffee shops and they'll serve you a cup of expresso + a larger coffee cup + a small carafe of boiling water. We could usually get about 3 cups of coffee per one expresso :lol:

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

NickAndreola wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 20:44

If you (like me) are not an expresso drinker, you can order a Cafe Americano at 'finer' coffee shops and they'll serve you a cup of expresso + a larger coffee cup + a small carafe of boiling water. We could usually get about 3 cups of coffee per one expresso :lol:
...but American coffee drinkers are not welcome, here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie »

:D Thanks Nick and Pippo....
I grew up in New York and visit frequently, and I am very comfortable in cities... I have traveled to 3rd world countries as well as industrialized ones like Brazil (known for pick pocketing), so I am in tune with scans and things to look out for. I have been cautioned that Naples is like the arm pit of Italy...(that was from people that have visited in the last 10 years) and of course that is where a large part of my family is from, so I want to visit there. I wondered if it would be wiser to stay in Sorrento, and commute to Torre Del Greco by train?

I am not a coffee drinker (hate the taste of coffee) but Love Expresso! :D :D :D I grew up on demi-tasse expresso, so I am sure I will fit in fine in Italy....(believe it or not expresso taste different! Call me wierd but I dont like the taste of coffee)

Thanks Pippo for the offer of your email.... I might just send you a line... Is the weather nice in mid-May?

Nick, is getting your ticket validated a normal part of the routine of train travel or something you have to make a point to do? As for ignoring people on the train.... I am used to NY subways, where you have to ignore alot of unusual behaviors at times... (as well as in the streets!)

NickAndreola
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NickAndreola »

Pippo, everyone loved serving that weak brown water to this grizzly old biker-looking dude from Texas. The irony was not lost on anyone :lol:

Again--10 years ago----but the trains don't have turn-style kinda zones like subways. You get your ticket and go out to the stop you want. Along the way there'll be a box like a time-clock that you put your ticket in yourself and get it date-stamped (or don't). Its an honor system. If you don't stamp/validate your ticket you can use it again on another day. The trains only have conductors on them every so often to check your ticket...so you can see the temptation :twisted:

Sounds like you're well trained/prepared for most anything you'd run into in Italy. Hope you have a wonderful time!