Can't find ancestors birth, where to look next?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Can't find ancestors birth, where to look next?

Post by lyn1982 »

I can't find my ancestors birth. His obituary says he was born in Rome. His SS card Ap says Aladri (which is probably Alarti) and a possible manifest which I'm not 100% sure is him but is the only record of a simular name I could find, says Monte San Giovanni Campano. A possible draft record of his (city and employment match and name is close but birthdate completely off) says Sacro, Rome. This could mean the monte sacro quarter of rome, correct? If so then his record would be in with the Rome records here http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... o+di+Roma/, correct?

I've checked records for his birth in all 3 of these locations, Rome, MS Giovanni Campano and Alatri (some on antenati site, some I had to go to family history center for) and not found him. I've also searched for most common places of his surname and not found his record there either. Can anyone list the most likely places nearby that I should start looking?

edit to add that according to 1940 census he wasn't naturalized.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Can't find ancestors birth, where to look next?

Post by mmogno »

What is the name of your ancestor, his parents, when he would have been born?
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Re: Can't find ancestors birth, where to look next?

Post by lyn1982 »

Joseph Ebbo or Abbo (possible Abballe was original surname). Born 23 DEC 1896 parents Domenico Ebbo and Mary Paris according to the marriage record, Domenico Abbo and Maria Pretrain according to his SS card ap. I think his mothers name was actually Mary Anna, based on fact he named his eldest daughter Mary Anna. Plus Joseph's wife lists her mothers name as Maria on that same marriage record, so Joseph's mothers name most likely is Mary or Mary Anna not Maria.

I do have a lot of records regarding him but I've checked all the places he lists for birth and even some other places that sounded simular. I've checked Alatri, Rome, Monte San Giovanni Campano and Sacrofano records to no avail. Checked others too tho can't remember which ones off top of my head. I have a tree here I created with just him and possible siblings (I'm not 100% sure they are siblings.) I only really have much info on the possible brother Thomas. But Thomas goes by name Abballe and lists his mothers name as Maria Samori, rather then Paris. Tho he lists himself as going to a cousin Agostino Papetti on his passenger manifest. So maybe they didn't really know their mothers surname that well. If the birth record of the Antonino is the same as the one I found on passenger manifest in 1913, then it seems the brothers may have been born to an unnamed mother and given to father to raise.

So I can't 100% make the connection. Thomas also lived nearby to where Joseph lived when first immigrating, according to Josephs obit.

Here is my tree. I don't think there's anyway anyone can really help me though with this.

https://www.rootsfinder.com/tree/70988/ ... -W2P7-C7N2