Deprale #2 Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
healey2000

Deprale #2 Italy

Post by healey2000 »

Hi Pippo,

I am not sure how to close a previous Forum. Per your instructions, I started a new topic with the "#2" added to the subject line and tried to add an attachment. I hope this works.

The attachment is a small section of the handwritten Passport to which I was referring. If you need to see more of the document, could we communicate over email? I am reluctant to put the entire Passport on a Forum.

As you can see, my Great Grandma was born in Besnate, Italy. I know the location of Besnate but it is her place of residence - Deprale? - that is the mystery.

I hope the attachment works this time.
Thanks so much for any help you can give to me.
Stay healthy.
Attachments
Passport re Deprale.pdf
(61.91 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Deprale #2 Italy

Post by mmogno »

I do not understand one thing: do you have a manuscript passport, signed by the Mayor of Gallarate, written in English?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
healey2000

Post by healey2000 »

I have a piece of paper with the my Great Grandma's Passport information written in English. It is likely that the information was copied into English which has created the interpretation problem I am encountering.

At the bottom it says:

Taken at Gallarate - March 7, 1910
signed, Mayor Seona (I may not have the Mayor's name correct)
(seal of the Mayor of Gallarate) (this statement about the seal is exactly as written on the paper)

There is a stamped section that may indicate that this information from my Great Grandma's passport was used for her pension application in Canada. At least that seems to be what the stamp indicates. Initially I thought the stamp was from Italy but it is not. The information indicates that the Mayor's seal was on the original passport but it is not on the paper I am reading.

I think I am at the point where it would be helpful to obtain a list of a few towns that resemble the word "Deprale" in the Gallarate and Besnate area or even toward Lurago d'Erba where some ancestors lived. If you can assist with that, that would be very helpful. Any other ideas would be very helpful too.
Thanks so much.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hello,
I've sent you a PM with my email address.
However, here:

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/03/

you find a list of Provinces of Region Lombardia.
Click on the name of town, and in the next page, you'll see the list of towns in that province.
Gallarate and Besnate are in Varese province.
Also, if your reference is Milano, notice that "Monza and Brianza" was once part of it.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Hi.
1. There is not a comune with name Deprale. It would be possible that it was a "frazione", that is a small village of even a few houses, part of a comune of that area. It may no longer exist and even its name may no longer be in use.
Should I find any info, I'll post it here.

2. Please note that the area of Gallarate and Besnate is now part of the province of Varese, but at that time it was belonging to the province of Milano, as correctly said in your paper. So it is not necessary to think to a place very far from Gallarate. The province of Varese was created in 1927.
healey2000

Post by healey2000 »

Thank you very much, Pippo, for providing the website that includes a list of towns that I can check and for letting me know about Monza and Brianza. I did not know about that history. The information will be very helpful.

Thank you, too, for providing your email address. If I am stuck again I will contact you.
Stay healthy,
healey2000

Post by healey2000 »

Hi Pippo,
It is helpful to know that Gallarate and Besnate were in the province of Milano in 1910. The reference to Milano now makes sense.

I will keep the comune name Frazione in mind as I try to identify where my Great Grandma (Assunta Bassani) lived. In previous communication 05/Aug/2016 from Paola, he suggested that my Great Grandpa (Giuseppe Crippa) may have been born in Carugate (not Careszate as listed on his 1907 ship manifest to New York). On his 1904 ship manifest to NY, his last place of residence was listed as Crenna which is part of Gallarate now. Like you said, I probably don't have to look far from that area for the comune that was very likely incorrectly spelled as Deprale.

Interestingly, I have recently discovered some Bassani ancestors from Lurago d'Erba, just north of Carugate.

Thanks again.
Marion
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Hi Marion. Please note that the last message you read was not from Pippo, but from me, Ugo (it was my first post here). The word frazione was not the name of a comune, but is meaning "hamlet" (I looked for the translation).

Lurago d'Erba is a comune in the province of Como.
Sincerely
Ugo
healey2000

Post by healey2000 »

I'n sorry, Ugo. I didn't notice that you had responded instead of Pippo. I am gradually learning the terms for various places e.g. comune, hamlet etc. Thank you for the tip.

Stay healthy.
Marion