Trying to locate where my ancestor came from.. there are two very close spellings

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Alaskamom68
Rookie
Rookie

Trying to locate where my ancestor came from.. there are two very close spellings

Post by Alaskamom68 »

I'm trying to find Gabbiana as that has been what people have been translating it as but I googled it and can only find Gabbiano and today someone translated something for me and said Gabbiano.
So trying to decide which it is and where that is. They were from the Massa-Carrara area.
Some records say Cassolana is this near Gabbiana?
Thank you
Traci Forni
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Trying to locate where my ancestor came from.. there are two very close spellings

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've had a look at the records that you have had translated, and from them I believe the correct spellng is Gabbiana, which belongs to the town of Bagnone, in the Province of Massa-Carrara (MS)

Edit to Add: I think that Cassolana, which is also a village belonging to Bagnone, is about 1.50 km away from Gabbiana: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cassola ... 876948!3e0

Angela
bbivona
Master
Master

Re: Trying to locate where my ancestor came from.. there are two very close spellings

Post by bbivona »

Here are the two towns on a detailed topographical map from the 1800s.
https://mapire.eu/en/map/europe-19centu ... 6.55627186
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Alaskamom68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Alaskamom68 »

Thank you ... The site looks like a wonderful resource.