searching for ancestor's birth town

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

searching for ancestor's birth town

Post by dbc2014 »

I am trying to pinpoint the birth town of my ancestor, Agostina Bettas Valet, born circa 1851. A marriage publication (from Corio, 1875) has it as Mignanzo or Mignango. The marriage act (from Rocca Canavese, 1875) as it as Mignango. But her death record (from Torino, 1929) has her birth town something like Grovi (not sure). I wondered if anyone recognized a town or area that this could be. Thank you very much!
Attachments
Agostina BV d1927 torino.PNG
Ruo Rui BV mar Rocca.jpg
Ruo Rui BV pub Corio.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: searching for ancestor's birth town

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The town written on the death record is possibly Giovi, which is a hamlet of Mignanego. Maybe there are errors on the two marriage records which should read Mignanego and not Mignango.

Angela
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dbc2014 »

Fantastic! I would not have made that connection. I will check into it. Thank you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dbc2014 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 22:40 Fantastic! I would not have made that connection. I will check into it. Thank you!
Well, I hope I'm right. I just couldn't see any evidence of the town Mignango anywhere.

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Marriage Pubblication from Rocca di Corio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=970648
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 22:48
dbc2014 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 22:40 Fantastic! I would not have made that connection. I will check into it. Thank you!
Well, I hope I'm right. I just couldn't see any evidence of the town Mignango anywhere.

Edit to Add

There are some records here for Mignanego 1866-1910: https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

She was born circa 1851, and it doesn't look like those records have been filmed unless they are hiding somewhere else. I haven't had a close look at what is available on the antenati site: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... di+Genova/

Angela
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dbc2014 »

Thanks for the links. I too was looking for 1851 records but I couldn't find church records either. Nonetheless, I'm just happy to figure out where she was born. Thanks for your help!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dbc2014 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 00:01 Thanks for the links. I too was looking for 1851 records but I couldn't find church records either. Nonetheless, I'm just happy to figure out where she was born. Thanks for your help!

All good. Did you see that mmogno has located the marriage pubblication from Rocca Corio? I had actually intended to just edit my second post here and instead created a new one. Anyways, I thought that I would just take a look for Teresa Pagliero's death record in the town of Rocca Corio as it indicates that is where she was currently living and had been living with her husband. The surname Pagliero is certainly evident in that town but I haven't as yet located her death record.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've taken a closer look at the Rocca di Corio pubblication and it says that both the bride and groom were born in Rocca di Corio, which would make sense because normally a marriage takes place in the birth town of the bride, and they were married in Rocca di Corio. So it's a little bit puzzling.

I haven't located Teresa Pagliero's death record.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 00:59 I've taken a closer look at the Rocca di Corio pubblication and it says that both the bride and groom were born in Rocca di Corio, which would make sense because normally a marriage takes place in the birth town of the bride, and they were married in Rocca di Corio. So it's a little bit puzzling.

I haven't located Teresa Pagliero's death record.

Angela

I was in a rush earlier and I read the wrong line. The pubblication from Rocca di Corio says that the groom was born in Forno (di) Rivara, whilst the bride was born in this town i.e. Rocca di Corio. So there seem to be discrepancies re birth towns amongst these documents here.

Also, I wanted to mention that Agostina died in 1927 not 1929.

Angela
dbc2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dbc2014 »

Thanks for your note. My family (Pagliero, Bettas Valet, and Nepote Brandolin) all come from Rocca Canavese. All of Agostina's siblings were born in Rocca and her parents were born there too. There is no birth record of her in Rocca (I've written several books indexing the Rocca birth/marriage/death records!). So I was searching for where she was born. Maybe one day there will be online records for Mignanego!
Thanks again. Have a wonderful day!
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

The publication of marriage from Rocca di Coro says that the copy of the act of birth of the bride was released "dal Signor D(on) Albino Massa Economo di questa parrocchia in data trenta ottobre stesso mese ed anno mille ottocento settantacinque = by Mr. D(on) Albino Massa Economo of this parish on 30 October 1875."