San Donato di Ninea - from Ceraso

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mcherry

San Donato di Ninea - from Ceraso

Post by mcherry »

Hello all. Okay the family tree is filling out but I have found very little on San Donato di Ninea. I think it is below Naples but I know very little else.

Michael
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: San Donato di Ninea - from Ceraso

Post by jcsm400 »

San Donato di Ninea (province: Cosenza - region: Calabria)

A website with pictures: http://digilander.libero.it/donatodininea/

Map link:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=

Hope it's what you are looking for!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mcherry

Post by mcherry »

Thanks, jcsm. so this is where they all came from. I can see the mapquest but the other link is blocked and will have to wait until I get home.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the town or local area? the mapquest link above may help.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using this link for the images will take you to websites associated with the town of interest......

http://images.google.com/images?q=San+D ... rch+Images

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

You're welcome, Michael.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but here is information on the province of Cosenza.

http://www.italyworldclub.com/calabria/ ... index.html

Someday hope to get to Italy, but first have one more state to see!

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mcherry

Post by mcherry »

Has anyone traveled near the very very small town of San Donato di Ninea - Cosenza, Calabria region? I hope to go in the spring and would like some travel tips. Never been to Italy. Thanks! Michael
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

My family is from Cosenza, not too far from the town you're asking about. I've been through it many years ago but don't remember much.

Heres a link for the map of the area, if anyone is interested..

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=

Sorry I couldn't tell you more! But I'll ask my mother if she remembers anything. Nonna J and I posted the same link... :oops: :oops: see what happens when you get older?????

nuccia :(
mcherry

Post by mcherry »

Thanks for the map and for asking your Mother. Maybe someone else has traveled through the area. Who is Nonna J? Also...... what's the story regarding the 1-5 Stars above the avitar?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Sorry,

Nonna J is jcsm400..she became a grandmother not along ago and so we "changed" her name. I'm really bad with initials.. :oops:

The five stars is the rank that has been given to wldspirit, mfjp and myself as moderators. Everyone is given a ranking depending on the amount of and quality of posts..

nuccia :D
lilimarlene

Post by lilimarlene »

Michael (mcherry),

I visited San Donato di Ninea in May of 2003. I have many relatives from there. Attached are some pictures. It is a lovely little town. The most impressive part was the church which, as I remember, is over 500 years old. It is built at the top of the hill. Our little tour bus wasn't even able to drive to the top. We had to park after a certain distance and walk the rest of the way. The church was quaint and the views were breathtaking. We wandered through the town and our guide, who spoke Italian, asked every older person he saw if they were familiar with some of my family surnames. We found a little old lady who knew of one family name and even showed us the house where my great-grandmother was born. It was a great trip and I would love to go back.

Jean
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

These are wonderful picture! Have you considered adding them to the photo album section? If you have any questions you could email Edmondo for instructions and he will approve them.

Many of the villages in Cosenza are quite small. We used to tease my mother who is from Malito that if you were driving through the village and you blinked you would miss it completely.

nuccia

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mcherry

Post by mcherry »

Thanks Jean for the pictures, I think I'll have to get in to better shape before I go after seeing the hills. Where there many tourist in San donato in May? I've never traveled in Italy. What tips or advice for traveling to San Donato di Ninea. ---Cosenza, Calabria region-- Would there be places to stay in such a small town? I've been away from this site and hope to have more time to finish out my family tree.

Thanks again!!!!
Michael
ccapolup

Post by ccapolup »

My parents are there in San Donato. I also used to live there. Be glad to answer any questions.
mcherry

Post by mcherry »

Hello, ccapolup

Thank you for offering some information. If all goes well I hope to travel to Italy in June or July of 2007. My previous question asked, "Would there be places to stay in such a small town?" What travel tips might you have? Also, I'm interested in what life is like San Donato di Ninea. Pictures, maps, do you know any Ceraso's?
Thanks again!

Michael
emauro

Post by emauro »

Hello!

I am new to the list. I am trying to visit San Donato di Ninea this summer while on my honeymoon. My grandfather left the town in 1920 and has never returned. I'd like very much to visit and bring back some information. Currently, I'm looking for lodging information. Does anyone know if there are any types of hotels in the area? Also, how is it recommended to arrive in that town--by bus, car?

Thank you for any help.

Elena Mauro :)
Binghamton, NY