Town of Quindici (Avellino) some Stato Civile Marriages

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
wfb812

Re: Town of Quindici (Avellino) some Stato Civile Marriages

Post by wfb812 »

Weird, huh?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

weird in a good way !! It's always amazing to find new cousins on the internet. Now hopefully he checks back in and reads this.

:D
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

That would be a good thing. I'm finding my family is expanding monthly.
Jeffpicks

Post by Jeffpicks »

How refreshing to find a genealogy site that actually has people that look at it! So many are stale, stale!

So many replies in such a short time! BRAVISSIMO!

I'm not 100% sure that the Luigi I've found is my wife's LOUIS... family legend has him born earlier than 1898, but we all know how family legend goes... speaking of which, any chance there are any BIRTH records floating around the website? I was told that they believe his birthdate is 12 APR 1881, and was told Genoa... but I'm skeptical of everything I got from them years ago, and they are all passed now.

Am I in Asbury Park? No, a few miles north of there... closer to RED BANK. Where abouts are you Bill?

Our LOUIS is buried in West Long Branch, and I plan to look at the stone again to verify dates (if it ever stops raining). He married Philomena BAPTISTE, who I am told is also Italian, but the name looks more French to me. I suppose it could have been BAPTISTA at one time? Philomena's parents were FRANK BAPTISTE, and MARIA JENNY DeNUCCI. (also buried in West Long Branch)

BILL, as an aside, in the "HISTORY OF MONMOUTH COUNTY", vol II, in the appendix, there is a list of names that served during WWI from LONG BRANCH, NJ. One of the names is SALVATORE SCHIBELLE (I think I spelt that right). You can find a full view of that history in Google Books. This _could_ also be the Salvatore below:

I _THINK_ (NOT proven) that the Salvatore that is shown in the Ellis Island record (8 y.o.) later became the Mayor of Asbury Park, and that his descendants became judges and lawyers in the area. Their name may have been spell changed to other variants, such as SHEBELL. Wife's family legend says they aren't related, but I'm not so sure of that. You all know how Italians can get when someone feels 'slighted'... and there did occur a family 'rift' somewhere along the lines that is making my research that much more difficult.

JIM, thank you SO MUCH! for translating! I did use an online translator to get the typed parts, but can't read the handwriting too well...

OK, another long story long... enough for now... Thanks again!
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Jeff,

I live in Somerset County, but work in Neptune. My Mom, a Caliendo, was born in Long Branch. Her father was Dominic Caliendo, brother of the Florinda Caliendo who married the Scibelli. At this point, I have family in Neptune, Neptune City, Bradley Beach and Asbury Park.

My mom was one of 11 ... we are related to, among others, the Alfano, Gaudious, Accera, and Petillo families.

I believe you're right about the AP mayor .. the Scibellis (Shebell) also at one time owned a bar in Long Branch. In speaking to a member of the Siciliano family (who are related to the Petillos), he mentioned that he'd heard there was a rift in the Scibelli family that led to the name change.
Jeffpicks

Post by Jeffpicks »

It just gets weirder... Bill I just sent ya a PM ... Sam Siciliano, Phil Petillo, Denise Alfano, Vinnie Accera... and not only that, as I mentioned in the PM, I used to work where you work... and am still not far from there!

Yeah, weird indeed.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Jeffpicks wrote: I'm not 100% sure that the Luigi I've found is my wife's LOUIS... family legend has him born earlier than 1898, but we all know how family legend goes... speaking of which, any chance there are any BIRTH records floating around the website? I was told that they believe his birthdate is 12 APR 1881, and was told Genoa... but I'm skeptical of everything I got from them years ago, and they are all passed now.
Actually I have 5 times as many birth acts as I do Marriage acts for Quindici for those selected surnames, an entire copy paper box full to be exact. I copied them via microfilm back in the mid 90s when I worked at my local LDS Family History Center. I would sit there for hours on Saturday night when the center was closed and photocopy. Unfortunately they are not scanned, I started with the marriages and lost steam lol

I just bought a new house and so much of my stuff is in boxes in the basement, I will have to dig through and find the birth acts.

You are quite correct, family lore is most often flawed in varying degrees. Scibelli is one of the oldest families in Quindici, one of the original "15 Thieves" from which the town derives it's name.

I'll see what I can find and get back to you.
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Wow ... if you come across any Caliendo or Santanello birth records, could you let me know?

Thanks...
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I believe I have a lot of Santaniello birth acts, it was the most common surname in Quindici, so many I had to stop copying them all!

Like I said, when I find that box, I'll let you guys know, and u can tell me what you need. I organized the copies by year and surname.
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

Sounds good, thanks ...
wfb812

Post by wfb812 »

JamesBianco wrote:I believe I have a lot of Santaniello birth acts, it was the most common surname in Quindici, so many I had to stop copying them all!

Like I said, when I find that box, I'll let you guys know, and u can tell me what you need. I organized the copies by year and surname.

Hiya ... been about 2 years since I've been here ... were you ever able to find those documents? (Caliendo/Santaniello/Schibelli marriage/birth)

Thanks,

Bill.
Jeffpicks

Post by Jeffpicks »

Hi Bill, Hi James, hope y'all are well!

Has it been two years? wow...