Great Grandfather turn away twice in Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Great Grandfather turn away twice in Italy

Post by Conti832 »

Awhile back I came across manifest of who I believed was my Great Grandfather.After a trip to Pofi I was then able to match the age .
Francesco Conti was turned away once in Naples and then on another site I found he was turned away in Genova.

Anyone know if it's possible to find out why he was sent away?
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Great Grandfather turn away twice in Italy

Post by Poipuo4 »

If immigrants reached Ellis Island and then were turned back in New York, the ship company would be charged for all the immigrants meals served at Ellis Island and for their passage back home. As a result, the ship line became more vigiliant about turning people back in Italy, so that they would not assume those costs. One of the reasons could be his health. If he had some type of sickness, especially the eye disease trichoma, he could be refused passage.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Immigrants were turned away for several reasons..some serious, most silly.

Can you post his manifest? It may have a notation on it like LPC (Likely to be Public Charge) meaning they didn't feel he could support himself. I have even heard immigrants were turned away for something like lice!

Post the manifest(s)..lets see if there are any clues.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

I found both manifests on ancesty.com when I was a member there,I can't get it because I am no longer a member.Ellis Island site will just have a empty spot ,his name and date pop up,sailing date from Naples was May 29,1906 on Liquria.His name was Francesco Conti from Pofi.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If they were turned away before boarding, there might not be a reason on the manifest itself....only the name crossed through and possible notation that they did not sail.

I am sure whatever reason they had, it was a legitimate one. What we think of as frivilous today, was important back then. A lice infestation, as silly as it may sound to Nuccia and me, would be a tragedy in close confines.

Lice do not cause dangerous infections. However, they may carry organisms that cause more serious diseases, such as trench fever and typhus. Lice tend to be a problem primarily in overcrowded areas or areas that have inadequate facilities for bathing and laundry. They are often a problem among the homeless or in military or refugee camps. All humans are equally at risk to attack by lice, but elderly people are more prone to develop complications from lice attacks.

Head lice, particularly, make children scratch, often till they open a sore on the scalp and in close quarters, become a host for infection.

Even at the missing manifest site, the pages are unavailable. The date of arrival is stated to be 29 May 1906, but actually was 27 May 1906. So not sure why pages are missing...but the whole roll appears that way.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Essgee is correct...

I also checked the missing manifest pages and using the info you gave me it came back with this..

1 T715 717 1596 1906 May 29 2 text Liguria (partially inaccessible) Genoa 1399401

Perhaps there was a problem with the film itself?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

For reference, Francesco Conti Liguria 1906 manifest, line 22
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9598 ... estvb4.jpg

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Great Job!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Biff.

Name is crossed off here too so I guess he didn't sail then.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

You guys amaze me the way you can find these kind of things.And by posting it that it is confirmed that it is my Greatgrandfather ,I am able to make out Great Grandmothers name .