NEED INFORMATION ABOUT PASSENGER SHIP ALESIA

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
gladius

NEED INFORMATION ABOUT PASSENGER SHIP ALESIA

Post by gladius »

My grandfather, Tomasso Folino Gallo arrived in New York on the passenger ship Alesia on or about August 1, 1895. I would like to learn more about the ship, its arrival schedule and passenger list.
Would be grateful to receive any information: getgallo@yahoo.com
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: NEED INFORMATION ABOUT PASSENGER SHIP ALESIA

Post by Squigy »

gladius wrote:My grandfather, Tomasso Folino Gallo arrived in New York on the passenger ship Alesia on or about August 1, 1895. I would like to learn more about the ship, its arrival schedule and passenger list.
Would be grateful to receive any information: getgallo@yahoo.com
Welcome to the forum!!

I wasn't able to locate a passenger list, but I did find this info on what seems to be the right ship.

ALESIA 1882
The ALESIA was a 2,790 gross ton ship built in 1882 by T. Royden & Sons, Liverpool (engines by G. Forrester & Co, Liverpool) for the Fabre Line of Marseilles. Her details were - length 328ft x beam 40.4ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 18-1st and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched in June 1882, she sailed from Marseilles on 15th Oct.1882 on her maiden voyage to Leghorn, Tarragona, Bone, Almeria, Malaga and New York. She continued on the Mediterranean - New York service until commencing her last voyage between Marseilles, Naples and New York on 17th Mar.1899. She was then scrapped.
[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1132]

From this website:

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descr ... hipsA.html

Also, I believe this is a picture of the right ship:

http://marie.bravepages.com/images/alesia.jpg

Found on this website:

http://marie.bravepages.com/docship.htm
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Try searching at ellisiland.org by ship name. Here is the page listing the Alesia's sailings: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/ship_ ... &year=1895
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Since Tomasso does not seem to be listed on the Alesia's manifest, perhaps we can locate him on another ship or date. Do you have an approximate year of birth for him? Any idea what part of Italy he came from?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Angela Cunzolo, aged 24, Tomasso wife's, arrived on Jan 8 1900 sailing from Naples on the S.S. Sempione. Her son Francesco, 9 years old, was on the same ship. They were joining their husband and father... Is that correct?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

gladius - I am returning this thread to the forum (we had exchanged a few PM's) so that others can see the work that has been done and possibly build upon it.

I have searched through every page of the Alesia's manifests for several voyages in 1895 (thankfully, the Alesia did not carry many passengers) and could not find the name of any passenger which even remotely resembled Tomasso Folino Gallo. I must assume that either his memory of the ship's name and/or year of immigration was not accurate or that - please do not be offended - he traveled as an undocumented stowaway. (I also tried dozens of Ancestry . com searches for any ship in the late 1800's/early 1900's without success)

I have found a number of interesting documents however, as follows:

Angela Cunzolo and son Francesco 1900 manifest

Francesco Gallo naturalized in 1918

Francesco Gallo's US passport application

Francesco Gallo travelled from Italy to the US in 1914, manifest page 1

manifest page 2

Francesco had a brother named Joe/Joseph; here is his passport application

Joseph's WWII draft registration

Joseph Gallo and family, 1930 census
Carmine