Question about naming traditions

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Squigy
Master
Master

Question about naming traditions

Post by Squigy »

My great grandfather's family (from Naples and Molise) named their kids exactly the way you would think they would they would (first son after paternal grandfather, second after maternal grandfather, etc) But his wife's (Calabrese) family doesn't seem to use the pattern. Here are their children:

1st child, a daughter born in Italy named Raffaela
2nd, a son born in Italy named Raffaele
3rd, a daughter born in PA name Theresa
4th, a son named Frank
5th, a daughter named Helen
6th, a daughter named Lucy (my great grandmother, who said her real name was Louisa or something like that)
7th, a son named Lawrence
8th, a daughter named Anna
and finally, the last was Rose

Now, I know Maria (the mother's) parents were Lorenzo and Francesca. If you notice, none of the daughters are Frances, but they do have a son named Frank. Could he have been named after Francesca? Why did she wait till her third son to name him after her father?

Do the naming traditions vary by region? Thanks!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Question about naming traditions

Post by Italysearcher »

Since there was a lot of bad feeling among some families, usually about inheritance, maybe they just didn't want to have any reminders. :-)
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Question about naming traditions

Post by Squigy »

Italysearcher wrote:Since there was a lot of bad feeling among some families, usually about inheritance, maybe they just didn't want to have any reminders. :-)
Thank you, Ann. I was wondering if it might have been something like that. Maria was never supposed to come to America, but her husband sort of pushed her to come here. I wonder if there was some dispute over that.

Anyway, we recently asked their youngest daughter, who is still living, about her grandparents, and she seemed reluctant to talk about them. I got the feeling she didn't like to ask her parents about them.