Help reading French Death Certificate

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Help reading French Death Certificate

Post by kangaroo_ch »

Hello,

Could someone translate this French Death Certificate?

Thank you
Anton

http://img810.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=girotdidier.jpg
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help reading French Death Certificate

Post by Italysearcher »

Same format as the Italian ones, it looks like, after all, both were decided by Napoleon
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I can read some of the document, but am still have a problem with some of the handwriting

Act of death for Didier Girot dated on Jan 21, year 13 (which I believe means 1813 since he appears to have been born in the 1700s based on information in the death record), at 3 of the evening ( I have never seen a French time written this way-so I don't know if they are referring to 3 in the afternoon or 3 a.m.). He was an expert seaman born in Noiron, department of Cote-d'or (this is in Eastern France). He had been born on December (can't make out the day) in the year 1735 (I think it is 35 but I am not certain of the handwriting). He was the son of Nicola Girot and ...(the mother's name is blank)

Then the document goes on to say:

On the declaration to me made by Didier Dupono (sp?) living in Noiron, profession: expert seaman, age 27, who said he was a friend of the deceased and by Didier (Mongin ???) age twenty-something (can't make out the second number) said to be ? of the deceased.

The witnesses signed the present act after there was a reading of it by the mayor who also signed it. He was of the public office of the civil state. Then it says something about the deceased having been transported to ? and that the mayor assured that the individual was, in fact, dead.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

His date of birth given in the death record was December 19th
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

mayor's last name looks like Barbius
antonio43
Veteran
Veteran

Post by antonio43 »

Hello,

in fact it's a datation according to the French revolutionnary calendar.

Didier GIROT, died in Noiron (Côte d'Or) on 20 Frimaire year 13 (that is December 11th, 1804), it was someone whose work was "Manouvrier" (it means someone who had only his hands to work). He was the son of Nicolas GIROT and was born on December, 9th, 1834 in Noiron.
The death was declared at the township on 21 Frimaire year 13.
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kangaroo_ch »

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help. Your correct this is a date according to the French revolutionnary calendar.

I have one more, a death certificate of Nicolas Girot, could you help me with this one as well.
http://photos-by-anton.fotopic.net/p66876803.html
Thank you and Kind Regards
Anton
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kangaroo_ch »

This could be the birth certificate of Didier Girot 1735 (top left ), but there is no chance i can read that!
This is the direct link to the French online archives.

http://www.archinoe.net/cg21v3/consulte ... 5_0192.jpg
antonio43
Veteran
Veteran

Post by antonio43 »

Hello,

For the Baptism act, it's written :

On December 9th, Didier son of Nicolas Giraut and of .... (there's a blank), his father and mother, born into legitime marriage, has been baptised by me, who make a mark at the end, into the Parisch Church Saint Pierre and Saint Paul. The child's Godfather is Didier P... and Godmother Anne VIRY (??), who have not signed.
VIARD, parish priest of Noiron
J.ROUSELE
antonio43
Veteran
Veteran

Post by antonio43 »

According to what I read, the death act is the one of a little child.