Updated website for Scotland

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Updated website for Scotland

Post by wldspirit »

ScotlandsPeople

We are delighted to launch the latest version of the ScotlandsPeople website, which has many new exciting and advanced features. The site is being officially launched this week by the Tourisim Minister Jim Mather. See here for details. In addition to all of the new features listed below, we have added new Catholic records, modern indexes to 2009, and a major indexing update of all current records.

* Enhanced free surname search
* One character restrictions on wildcards
* Surname no longer required field in search forms
* Refine Search Button
* Saved search criteria
* Fuzzy searching, Name Variant and Metaphone options for name fields
* Direct View Image Viewer
* Easy reporting of transcription and image issues
* Mapping of search results and images
* Advanced Searching

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Emmy
Master
Master

Re: Updated website for Scotland

Post by Emmy »

Many thanks for that tip
Much appreciated
Emmyxx
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hello Emmy!! :D
Still trying to track that elusive Scottish ancestor of mine, so I do keep up with that particular site, and I really like the new Beta FamilySearch, I've found some great info there as well.
Hugs,
Lee

Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Who is that elusive ancestor Lee?
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

I have just been back into the new updated version and it seems they are having a few teething problems at the moment. I used 6 credits - 1 credit to view a list that cmae up ok then I used 5 credits to view the document- before I had no bother downloading the document but all got this time was a sign saying 'waiting' I waited and waited and waited. Finally I sent a message to them saying I couldnt dowload their reply said owing to the volume of messages since the update they will answer as soon as possible. So I'll just have to have lots of patience
Emmy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sorry.....took a computer break and worked on my scrapbooks for the grandkids....

That elusive ancestor would be James Pringle, whose name is as common as they get!! Not to mention the duplicate names popping up in the same family......I really want to confirm the town of origin, parents name and a ship manifest.....I get so annoyed with this one I drop it and come back to it when I feel like trying to find the needle in the haystack!! :lol:

Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Do you have any information at all about him. I'm sure it not only a common name but it could be a famous one too. I must ask my daughter about when she lived in the Scottish Borders near Peebles. I'm sure there's a link there with a famous brand of knitwear.
Emmy
By the way I had an answer form Scotland's People and they sent a copy of the document by email to me (said they were still having what I would call 'teething problems')but I still couldnt read the document - when enlarged it became blurred but I contacted them again and they sent another version which worked but now I've discovered I when I went into my 'account' (at least I think it was there-but its the part where you can change options) and changed the option to direct download it worked much quicker and went straight into my picture folder.
Emmy