Correct way of recording birth place

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Correct way of recording birth place

Post by luvfamily »

My grandmother was born in Roccapipirozzi Itlay can someone tell me if I record it: Roccapipirozzi, Isernia, Molise, Italy or Roccapipirozzi, Molise, Isernia , Italy.

Thank you

Gloria
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Correct way of recording birth place

Post by maestra36 »

I believe the first way is correct, as Isernia is the province and Molise is the region. A region can include more than one province.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you so much.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The last time I looked, Roccapipirozzi is not an actual comune but rather a frazione ("fraction" - neighborhood, detached community) of a comune. So, I would record it as Frazione Roccapipirozzi, Comune di Sesto Campano, Provincia di Isernia, Regione di Molise (Southern Italy)

Frazione = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazione

PS: There also exists nearby Frazione Piana di Roccapipirozzi, Comune di Sesto Campano, Provincia di Isernia, Regione di Molise (Southern Italy)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you Camine for letting me know this. :D

Gloria

PS what about Coreno-Ausonio how would you record this one?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Coreno-Ausonio is an actual comune, so Comune di Coreno Ausonio, Provincia di Frosinone, Regione di Lazio (Central Italy).

Under the governmental authority of Comune di Coreno Ausonio there is a single frazione (of which I am aware), named Puzzali San Giuliano. Thus: Frazione Puzzali San Giuliano, Comune di Coreno Ausonio, Provincia di Frosinone, Regione di Lazio (Central Italy). Your ancestor may be from the main town of Coreno-Ausonio or possibly from the frazione.

As an example of just how far frazioni can be removed from their governing comune, see this Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Ses ... 8&t=h&z=14

With Sesto Compano at the bottom-left, you can see Selvotta to the southeast, and Pontenuevo, Cava, Campopino, and Roccapipirozzi to the northwest. These five locations are all frazioni of Sesto Compano. There are several others in the area which are not named on the Google map.

PS: I should add that the political divisions which exist today may or may not have existed 100 years ago. Whereas Roccapipirozzi is today considered to be part of Sesto Compano, that may not have always been the case.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I should add that the political divisions which exist today may or may not have existed 100 years ago. Whereas Roccapipirozzi is today considered to be part of Sesto Compano, that may not have always been the case.
Carmine points out an important aspect of research. The geo-political divisions have changed over the years. It is Repubblica Italiana today, but Regno d'Italia prior to 1948. Before the unification, it may have been Regno delle Due Sicilie or Stato Pontificio or another, depending on location. I find that using the correct political designation adds interest to your family story. In addition, it's more accurate and , therefore, makes research easier (e.g., finding the right records) for others using your data. IMHO
John Armellino
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you so much. It is very interesting. I am researching my grandparents on my father's side. My grandfather and grandmother were born in Coreno-Ausonio.

Giuseppe DeCore
born: March 9, 1875

Maria DiSiena
born: March 1, 1878

this is what is stated on death certificates. I have found dirrent spellings of the name.

DeCori
DiCore
DiCare
DiCuore ( this is on the death certificate of my grandfather)
DeGore ( on my grandmother's death certificate)

I want to see if I can get birth certificates for them. I do not know if they were married in Italy or here in the USA

Gloria
biagasis

Post by biagasis »

I live in Coreno Ausonio, in Italy, can I help you?
ciao
gaspare
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

I would love for you to help me out. Thank you so much for offering.

Gloria
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

luvfamily wrote:Thank you so much. It is very interesting. I am researching my grandparents on my father's side. My grandfather and grandmother were born in Coreno-Ausonio.

Giuseppe DeCore
born: March 9, 1875

Maria DiSiena
born: March 1, 1878

this is what is stated on death certificates. I have found dirrent spellings of the name.

DeCori
DiCore
DiCare
DiCuore ( this is on the death certificate of my grandfather)
DeGore ( on my grandmother's death certificate)

I want to see if I can get birth certificates for them. I do not know if they were married in Italy or here in the USA

Gloria
For what it is worth, I think the most likely variant based on names actually found in Italy today is "Di Cori". Although apparently not present in Coreno Ausonio and just one in all of the province of Frosinone, it does exist in some small numbers in the Lazio region (which encompasses Frosinone and Coreno Ausonio).

See http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

and

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... cori&dv=fr
Carmine

luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you Carmine for the info.

Gloria
biagasis

Post by biagasis »

The surname that exists today in Coreno Ausonio is "De Gori".
the surname DE GORI is a historical name, is also written on the portals of the old houses, "Joseph de gori1575 "(!)...

How can I help you?
ciao...
Gaspare
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

I do not know if my grandparents were married in Italy or here in the USA. I would love to get their birth records. I think this will give me the names of my great grandparents. How do I go about this?
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

I would also like to get marriage record if it is in Italy. Do you know if any of the records for this town are recorded by LDS. If they are I can see if I can find them. I appreciate all your help with this.

Gloria